Cardboard Air Fresheners?

Druin

I did a search but did not find an answer to my question...

Yesterday, we were in Target and of course every endcap is full of 50% off holiday stuff :) One of these had a bunch of poinsetta cardboard coasters (similar to the coasters you get at Chili's restaurants). In thickness and consistency, they remind me of the typical "tree" fresheners - do you think something like this would work as a substitute for the ones your order online? Got to love a sale - and no shipping! :)

Thanks in advance!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Druin -

Was wondering if you tried this w/ the coasters and if so, how it worked out

I tried it about a year ago w/ beer coasters. Someone gave me hundreds of beer coasters, thinking I could use them for something. I tried doing car fresheners using a decoupage method. i won't bore you w/ details but couldn't find the right glue to use with FO's. Gave up, but still love the idea, and still have the coasters laying around!

Thanks

Nancy

Druin -

Was wondering if you tried this w/ the coasters and if so, how it worked out

I tried it about a year ago w/ beer coasters. Someone gave me hundreds of beer coasters, thinking I could use them for something. I tried doing car fresheners using a decoupage method. i won't bore you w/ details but couldn't find the right glue to use with FO's. Gave up, but still love the idea, and still have the coasters laying around!

Thanks

Nancy

Nancy, I'm not sure why glue was used for the CAF. I have made by just applying the scent to the coaster, punching a hole and hanging. I haven't had too much luck with the scents I have picked. But if you get the right FO then the scent will last for months. Rasp Zinger from NG last awhile for me. I have made Apple Jack and Peel that's been good but don't know who the scent was from. Darn, take notes...

I found these really cool royalty free clip arts and wanted to decoupage them onto the coasters. I scented the coasters with about 5 different scents, printed the designs w/ my inkjet and glued them to the coasters using a spray glue. Then I coated the whole thing with mod-podge. They did smell very good and strong, but I think the FO sort of broke down the mod podge and they became very sticky. I thought that the mod modge gave them a more "finished" look, but I thought I would try it with just the spray glue.

Then I saw somewhere that you could iron on designs to freshener paper. I may try that next.

I'd like to have some of these to sell at a car show in June, but it's not my priority.

They really are pretty cool looking. Maybe I'll post some pics

Nancy

Yeah, I know you can use rubber stmps and markers - I just really liked these clip arts - vintage tattoo designs, vintage florals, classic paintings, fairy designs. My biker friends realy liked the tattoo designs

A couple links - hope they work

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Tattoo-Designs-Full-Color-Electronic/dp/0486995925

http://www.amazon.com/Paintings-CD-ROM-Full-Color-Electronic-Design/dp/0486997413/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231457529&sr=1-5

• 3 weeks later...

Nancy...

So sorry I never got back to you :( The coasters worked very well for fresheners - I just painted a coat of fo on them, punched a hole and ran some ribbon through it. Now to find some non-poinsettas to try heheh.

I've used the iron transfer paper from oak court to apply pictures to the cardboard fresheners and they worked great. I applied the pictures first, let them sit for a day (not sure if this is really a needed step, but did it anyway) then brushed with FO on front and back.

I'm making some car freshners this weekend with coasters from a restaurant that I work for. The restaurant logo is printed on them and the ink does not run (did my testing!!).

My question is: How long should they dry before packaging?