Has Anyone Done This Show??

Beverley

I have done a show before and yes, I am aware it's not a craft show. We are planning to do the bath and body and possibly candles but if we do the candles, they will be at a separate booth since they are two entirely different companies. Just wanted to see what peoples experiences were at this show if any.

I have not done that show but tradeshows are all I do and....I have met many people who have done that show and like it fine.

Its somewhat a regional show (buts thats ok) with Magic in Vegas being a large market as well as the gift show in San Francisco

Now that said....you gotta expect the markets to be down this year but retailers do have to purchase for their stores and the Jan/Feb markets will be the ones they attend. As for two separate booths for your companies....not necessary and a waste of money unless you just need that extra booth space then I would get a larger space. You can have two companies in one booth if you own or rep them and they will display both signs. If wholesale is your goal then you gotta jump in sometime. If you live fairly close and can drive to this market then its a good place to start. Most booth space is $8-10 a sq foot so that will give you an idea on price....a good estimate would be $2000 for a 10x10. I always try and get an end cap and pay the extra bucks, its worth it and it opens your booth up on all sides and allows for thru traffic to mingle easily. One more thing...I think it was your post on the general candle making thread about lamps and heating jars.....that is a waste of time and not necessary. I doubt you'll find very many, if any, candle producing companies heating their jars...good luck

Thanks for your very helpful response! We do a fair amount of wholesale in various other countries (Bahamas, Seychelles, Russia, Mexico, etc) but not so much in the states. We are hoping to expand our wholesale accounts here at some point. I did figure that the economic situation that things would be less than fantastic but I don't bother with craft shows and since I have some experience with trade shows and my husband has a ton of experience with them, we thought this would be a good fit for us. As for getting two booths, that is something we were considering in order to give each of my businesses it's own personality. The body care line has a totally different vibe than the candles and want to brand them separately but we will certainly look at booth sizes, locations on their "map" and probably do a mock up of the space in order to see if we can make one booth work in the various size options.

I regard to the lamps, I pour my wax pretty cool compared what I see is the norm here which seems to help my fragrance throw so I like to have a nice warm jar for adhesion. Thanks so much for your advice.... Had a rough time on this board lately and I do appreciate your feedback! Merry Christmas!!

This show requires a juried acceptance. Sometimes it's legit--they really do evaluate your products or pictures of them anyway, and include or exclude you based on your submission. With other shows, it's just lip service and they let just about anybody in.

The show charges $28.35 per square foot for a booth in the section pertaining to candles, aromatherapy, etc. Unless you already have a reputation in the business and are very experienced in exhibiting at wholesale shows, I wouldn't recommend spending that kind of money on a show you've never attended.

It's really dicey in the retail market right now and with the cost of the show plus travel, meals, and hotel fees (if applicable), you'll have to write an awful lot of orders just to cover those costs. Have you checked out the current competition listed for the show?

Unless you're really fat with cash and can afford the show whether you make money or not, what you might consider doing is placing some ads in trade publications just to generate awareness of your name/product, and generate some business that way, then wait until fall season or next winter before you spend money on a show you're not familiar with. After advertising, people will be more familiar with you and will be more likely to order.

Hi Sock Monkey,, thanks for all of your insight. We contacted them about 1 1/2 years ago and received the packet for exhibitors so I am very familiar with all of the costs etc. My husband is well versed in trade shows (does about 4 per year) and I have had some experience with them as well. We will take a look at some advertising options and see if anything would be suitable. Thanks again....... Have you been to the show/done any other larger trade shows?

I have a good friend who does 5-6 trade shows per year in both the B&B segment and in home decor.. she states that the shows have been very down for the past 9 months and do not seem to be getting much better. I've worked her Dallas show with her a couple of times.... sometimes they are wonderful and sometimes......not so much. Home decor is especially finicky, you really have to have something that sets you apart. Strongly scented candles just aren't enough. Bath and Body is a little easier at the trade shows, IMO.

Thanks for all of the helpful info.

Also, I just want to say thanks to the folks in the off topic thread. I checked my website stats and I have had a lot of extra traffic to my website in the past 24 hours!

You can have a ton of traffic, it is a whole other thing to have traffic that buys!

Good Luck With that.

Dang thats pretty pricey for a tradeshow.....my most expensive is the Denver Show and it still doesn't come close to that....it sure would make me think twice right now. I also advertise in two publications and that keeps my name out there in between shows. I am scaling back this year on markets and doing more advertising. Lately I have been getting comparable new accounts doing this and I don't have all the hassle of preparing for a show....ugh. They used to be fun in the beginning, but now they are just lots of work and tiresome.

Hi Sock Monkey,, thanks for all of your insight. We contacted them about 1 1/2 years ago and received the packet for exhibitors so I am very familiar with all of the costs etc. My husband is well versed in trade shows (does about 4 per year) and I have had some experience with them as well. We will take a look at some advertising options and see if anything would be suitable. Thanks again....... Have you been to the show/done any other larger trade shows?

If you are so versed in tradeshows then WHY ask here????:confused:

tootie

said that I have some experience.... My husband does several of them each year but not for the candle/gift industry. He is in the travel business and does alot of big shows for that industry. I just wanted to know as stated in my original post if anyone has done this show or not.

Seeing as your primary line is bath and body, and you seem to be based out of Pennsylvania according to the contact info on your website... would make more financial/business sense to do the show in New York. Not only is it bigger and more attended, but it would be closer to you. There is even a category specifically for bath and body at the New York show, believe its called EXTRACTS.

I'd probably avoid doing anything with candles at a trade show at this point seeing as you are still testing a lot of your wicking. You really need to have everything in order at these shows, as I'm sure you know. If you give off the impression of not knowing what you are doing, or not being able to deliver what you are trying to promise... the buyers will remember.

Was just on the show site.... seems extracts is at the Cali show as well....

Product Divisions

At Home; Boutique; EX•TRACTS®; Fashion Accessories; Gifts Etc.; Jewelry (Cash & Carry); Made by Hand; Resort, Souvenir & Licensing; Stationery & More; Vintage Collection and World Style.