Need suggestions for shampoo additive

Rosies

I have an itichy scalp (must be something it the shampoos) but don't have dandruff or bugs. I'm going to try using baby shampoo and see if that helps any.

Do you have any suggestions for an EO that might help the itch? I don't have it all the time.

I have a lot of food allergies so that might be it. Never had it affect my scalp before but it seems to be ever changing! There's one shampoo that I definitely can't use and I think it's because of the grapeseed oil in it. Makes my scalp itch like crasy.

That's another question; if I'm allergic to wheat would wheatgerm oil cause an allergy? I would think so. Wheat, soybeans and so many other things give me hives.

Here's something I'd like to pass along. One day I had hives and a rash on my back. Got DH to rub some food grade coconut oil on it and as he was rubbing it in he said the rash started disappearing. The CO also helps the itch from the hives better than the prescription cream! Isn't that amazing? I really don't want to put the CO on my scalp even though I know it's good for your hair.

What other products are you using in your hair? Some styling products will make your scalp itch (in my experience). Have you tried any speciality shampoos? There's a few out there on the market you can try to see if they help. Maybe talk to your hairdresser/stylist and see what she/he recommends.

With you having so many allergies, I would be afraid to suggest any kind of EO's... since the majority are plant/flower derived.

In my experience, if you have food allergies, you're bound to have some kind of other hidden allergies (pollen, ragweed, etc.) even though you may not know it. Allergies suck! :tongue2: lol

Why wouldn't you want to put coconut oil on your scalp? Oh my! If you haven't tried a warm coconut oil hair & scalp treatment, you don't know what you're missing! LOL Pure divinity! Warm up a bit of coconut oil in the micro... then apply it to your dry hair and scalp and just MASSAGE. Make DH do it. LOL You'll feel like you're at the spa. ;) Then hop in the shower and wash it out. I'd try the baby shampoo thing too... and maybe use unscented... maybe it's the fragrance that's irritating you.

ETA: Maybe try a shampoo bar. Do you make CP soap? You can make your very own shampoo bar tailor made to your own liking, using oils that doesn't work up your allergies.

I get itchy scalp too this time of year. It itches right on top, toward the back of my head. I have caused scabs from itching so hard. :o I also get itchy shins too. Its just wintertime excema. Use shampoo and conditioner that is extra moisturizing, dont use dandruff or tea tree products.

Jojoba Oil is the best for hair and scalp. Do a hot oil treatment with Jojoba Oil

I tried the hot coconut oil this afternoon and it stopped the itch for awhile but it's back already.

I've had allergy test and do have a lot of them and they do suck.

I do make cold pour and have thought about making my own shampoo bar. I've tried speciality shampoos but have been out for awhile because I haven't needed them so thought maybe something like lavender or tea tree oil might be good.

Carrie, It sounds like we have the same itchy spots. My shins itch also. I was thinking the tea tree oil might help. Why do you say not to use it. Maybe I'll try the jojoba tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

I get more itchies with soap bar shampoos - soap scum I guess. Plus they leave my hair a total mess. Castile is the best of those I've tried but still better off with shampoo IMO.

(I love the smell of neem. And of tea tree. Must be something wrong with me.)

I tried the hot coconut oil this afternoon and it stopped the itch for awhile but it's back already.

I've had allergy test and do have a lot of them and they do suck.

I do make cold pour and have thought about making my own shampoo bar. I've tried speciality shampoos but have been out for awhile because I haven't needed them so thought maybe something like lavender or tea tree oil might be good.

Carrie, It sounds like we have the same itchy spots. My shins itch also. I was thinking the tea tree oil might help. Why do you say not to use it. Maybe I'll try the jojoba tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

Because tea tree actually dries out the scalp.

yes, Neem is quite good too.