Looking for creative ideas for packaging soap

Scent Cellar

Most of my soap sales are people that have heard about my soap and they just stop in and look at the soap on my rack and choose a bar or two or three, pay & leave. I have been using cigar bands but even after 2/3 months they sometimes loosen up to where they don't fit tight around the bar.

The majority of the soap bars people buy are goatsmilk soap. So here is my question ... would it look tacky if after they purchase the bar I just slip each bar into a 3 x 4 muslin bag with a tie string & putting a card in the bar also with the ingredient list. I was also thinking of stamping a decal of a goat on the bag. My goatsmilk bars are more of a chunky cut than normal size bars so I don't use the Tank cutter for them.

Or I could use an organza bag .. prices on them are very reasonable.

Suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

I make my own cigar bands and have the same problem with them getting loose after a while. Isn't there a shrink band that works like a cigar band and leaves the sides open? I thought I read that here some time back. Someone mentioned they slip a label in under the shrink band before heat shrinking it.

I just found the link:

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Bar-Soap-Shrink-Bands.html

I forgot MMS has Dans bands and shrink bands.

Don't know how involved you want to get with packaging your soaps but, I had the same problems a few years ago and finally gave up selling soap because I couldn't find decent packaging. Then I found a company called The Box Co-op on the web. They make all kinds of boxes from soap boxes to candle boxes to cosmetics boxes. You design your own box and they print it on their box stock, ship it to you and then you assemble the boxes as you use them. You can put a lot of information on the different sides of the box, along with the box flaps. They make a very nice package for soaps and I never have to worry about my soaps getting damaged in transport, getting dusty at craft shows, getting soap on other items in a gift basket, etc. Just a thought.

I think the muslim bag sounds just fine if that is the way you want to go. I wouldn't mind picking up a naked bar of soap and then you packaging it in the bag at the checkout :) Plus the bag could be reused instead of just thrown in the trash, maybe put a few ideas of reuse for the bag on your card. (my daughter loves them as little "treasure purses" as she calls them lol.

Angi