Alcohol

Rosies

Since some people use alcohol to sterlize bottles for lotion could a perfumers alcohol be used to thin a lotion?

I made a small batch of aftershave lotion for Christmas gifts and it's more like a cream and needs thinned. I tried using water with more preserative added but the liquid preserative turned grainy in the water before I even added it to the lotion so I don't think that will work. The alcohol seems to be working in a small amount I tried it in (it isn't seperating yet) but will it be safe. It seems like it should be since it can be used to sterlize bottles. This is different from regular alcohol (it doesn't have the smell) so do you think it will work the same and make my lotion still be safe?

I already made cologne and wanted to give this as sets but don't want to order more of the FO (used all of it)and pay the shipping for one little bottle if you know what I mean.

What are your thoughts on this?

I used Germaben II-E at 1 % in the lotion.

Got DH to pick up some vodka and used it to thin the lotion. It's been 6 days now and it still isn't seperating but I know it still could. DH tested it for me and said it has a little sting to it but no more than most after shave lotions he's used and not as much as some. Smells wonderful. Now hopefully I still have my gift sets.

This is funny. Dh told the woman at the liquor store his wife was going to use the vodka to make soap (instead of lotion). She told him he could believe that if he wanted but she didn't believe it.! LOL

I know I couldn't sell it with the vodka in it but I'm not so all should be okay.

Got DH to pick up some vodka and used it to thin the lotion. It's been 6 days now and it still isn't seperating but I know it still could. DH tested it for me and said it has a little sting to it but no more than most after shave lotions he's used and not as much as some. Smells wonderful. Now hopefully I still have my gift sets.

This is funny. Dh told the woman at the liquor store his wife was going to use the vodka to make soap (instead of lotion). She told him he could believe that if he wanted but she didn't believe it.! LOL

I know I couldn't sell it with the vodka in it but I'm not so all should be okay.

that is pretty funny. actually you use alcohol to make clear soap

that is pretty funny. actually you use alcohol to make clear soap

Carrie,

How do you do that? In all my reading I haven't found anything about using alcohol in soap. I'm really intrigued.

I spend more time reading and learning than I do making soaps and lotions. The forums are the greatest thing since sliced bread but I know you have to take some of what you read with a grain of salt. I don't like addicitions but it could be a much worse one. I don't think my family and friends will complain as long as they're getting free stuff and I love it, even the mistakes! Now as long as DH doesn't realize just how much I'm spending on my new hobby! I started out just going to make lip balms (using our beeswax) but that's just too easy even though I haven't made one yet that I really like. Still thinking about it though. I love the Carmex and I'm trying to make something like it. I even found a source for some tiny malibu tubes with the slanted applicator. Now I'm waiting for this one ingredient to come in that I want to add to my formula. It ended up costing me over $40.00 by the time I finished adding this and that and the one thing I was originally ordering was only a couple dollars. LOL