Blending soy and beeswax

I've not heard about the brighter light claim... Adding 1 tablespoonful of beeswax pastilles per pound of soy wax will make the wax a little harder, shinier, more resistant to frosting, higher melting point, etc. Play around with it so see for yourself what happens! You WILL need to retest wicking as the beeswax has an effect on it. Have fun! :)

I also have not heard a claim about brighter light. I use about 3-4% beeswax in my 415, and it helps give me smoother tops, and helps a little with the frosting, and I believe it helps the scent throw. To me, it definately benefits the candle to have the beeswax in it.

I don't know about blending soy and beeswax but I do know that beeswax candles do burn brighter than other waxes. In fact, a burning beeswax candle emits the same light spectrum as the sun.

Wouldn't the light emitted depend upon the WICK used and the FOs, etc. more than just the beeswax? The "same light spectrum as the sun" WOULD encompass nearly any wax... Methinks this is marketing hype without scientific evidence to back up the claim.

• Like 1

Wouldn't the light emitted depend upon the WICK used and the FOs, etc. more than just the beeswax? The "same light spectrum as the sun" WOULD encompass nearly any wax... Methinks this is marketing hype without scientific evidence to back up the claim.

It would also burn YOUR EYEBALLS as you watched your candle burn!!!:P

Just quoting from every scientific journal I have read on bees and beeswax. Sorry, I'm just a bit offended by the stupid comments from people who have no idea what they are talking about. Pick something up and read it once in a while, you might learn something!
Hold on there, beekeeper... Now before YOU go off half-cocked, keep in mind that most of us don't have a buncha scientific journals on bees and beeswax lying around the coffee table, so how's about maybe YOU (as the person defending this allegation) pointing to some scientific links on the internet where the actual lumen output of identical sized candles made from beeswax, paraffin, soy and palm wax, using the exact same size/type of wick with no additives is measured? The only thing I read that was even vaguely scientific said that the composition of the wicks and other additives were more responsible for the actual lumen output than the wax itself...
A candle typically produces about 13 lumens of visible light and 40 watts of heat, although this can vary depending primarily on the characteristics of the candle wick. For comparison, note that a 40 watt incandescent light bulb produces approximately 500 lumens for the same amount of power. The modern SI unit of luminous intensity, the candela, was based on an older unit called the candlepower, which represented the luminous intensity emitted by a candle made to particular specifications (a "standard candle"). The modern unit is defined in a more precise and repeatable way, but was chosen such that a candle's luminous intensity is still about one candela.

It is commonly believed that the candle made of beeswax burn more cleanly than petroleum based paraffin waxes. However highly-refined paraffin wax can burn as or more cleanly (with regards to particulates created during combustion) than natural waxes. The type of wick and inclusion of any scents and/or dyes have a much greater impact on the release of compounds, particulates, and smoke, regardless of the base material. The cleanest burning candle will therefore be unscented, undyed, and a well constructed candle burning in a draft free area. Furthermore, a candle will function well when formulated waxes are blended together (soy, paraffin and other waxes) and fragrance oils along with wick selections are balanced properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candle

There were tons of links from folks who make beeswax candles who stated that "beeswax candles burn brighter," but that does not make it any truer than the tons of sites that erroneously claim that soy wax doesn't produce soot, is "greener," blah, blah, blah... Hype repeated often enough may become truth to some, but is STILL hype to me without a scientific basis to back it up...

Not trying to be a jerk - just trying to get some FACTUAL information... Please post some links or scan an article or two from your journals so that we may learn... ;)

You're saying that most of you don't have scientific journals laying around is the precise reason you shouldn't be making comments like you did. I don't mean to go off "half-cocked", I just don't like being the brunt of uneccessary jokes.

Being a commercial beekeeper, I HAVE read everything I could get my hands on about beeswax and it's properties in order to learn everything I could about my craft. Now, whether what I have read is right or wrong, I only meant to help out a fellow candlemaker.

I thought that's what this forum was for...

• Like 1

You're saying that most of you don't have scientific journals laying around is the precise reason you shouldn't be making comments like you did. I don't mean to go off "half-cocked", I just don't like being the brunt of uneccessary jokes.

Being a commercial beekeeper, I HAVE read everything I could get my hands on about beeswax and it's properties in order to learn everything I could about my craft. Now, whether what I have read is right or wrong, I only meant to help out a fellow candlemaker.

I thought that's what this forum was for...

Beekeeper.....our posts were not meant to insult you. It was all in good jest. Watching a candle burn as hot as the sun sounded pretty funny to me! We all laughed and shared stupid jokes...it was not meant as an attack in any way and I hope you can rise above this. I do not think that a candle can burn as hot as the sun...could I be wrong...sure...please prove me wrong if it is the truth....send me a link....I would love to learn about it if it is true. :grin2:

Hey who HIJACKED my post? :laugh2:

I reread beekeeper_sd post, and not to start an argument, he said beeswax candles emit the same light spectrum as the sun. I don't see where it reads as bright or as hot as the sun. To me that means that the colors I see from the light is nearly the same colors I would see when viewing the same object illuminated by the sun. Still I have to admit the humor found from his post was funny and I believe it was only meant, as was stated, to be in fun.

• Like 1

Of more interest to me than the light spectrum being the same as the sun's was the claim that "beeswax candles burn brighter" than other candles. I think it's important to know for sure that this IS scientifically proven so that any of us who make & sell beeswax candles can offer our customers factual information and not myths. We've all read "magical" claims about beewax, soy and other waxes that are simply untrue and mostly perpetuated by honest folks who simply haven't checked out whether the claims are factual; others deliberately make claims because they want to sell candles to customers who will believe anything they say (like the "soy doesn't soot", "soy is greener" marketing claims).

Since beekeeper_sd keeps bees and has access to more specific scientific literature on this subject than folks who aren't into beekeeping, I HOPE that he/she will share with us some hard, scientific evidence that will answer the question raised. I posted what little I could find on the subject, but the source is not good and the reference is oblique, so I'm hoping for some solid evidence of this phenomenon.

If it is true, then any of us would be happy to include that in our marketing; if not, folks need to be aware that this is myth and NOT include it in their marketing.

Sorry for the hijack, burnt_fingers...guilty as charged! :embarasse

I'm gonna go flog myself 10 lashes with a limp wick!! flogging.gif

I found this:

Beeswax candles emit a warm golden glow

The light emitted by a beeswax candle is in the same spectrum as the sun. It is a warm golden colour and a halo can often be seen around it. This is opposed to the disorganised light spectrum produced by paraffin candles (which is similar to old fashioned incandescent light bulbs), or the cool bluish flame emitted by soy candles.

here: http://www.thehoneyfarm.com.au/acatalog/Beeswax_Candles.html

Thanks, caramel. There are lots of sources like that that are findable - what we need is some scientific data...

What is the source of the information from which The Honey Farm got their info? :confused:

I have not noticed soy candles producing a bluish flame... the color & spectrum is largely dependent upon the material from which the wick is made and also influenced by other components of the wax as well as the wax itself... Most chandlers can tell you how different the light intensity and color appears using different sized wicks made from the same material, let alone different materials... This is why I am asking for hard data - sometimes the observations of folks are not based upon cause/effect relationships, but simply on appearances which can be deceiving. :undecided

As pointed out, I never said the candles burn as hot as the sun or put out as much light as the sun. Stella seems to be trying her hardest to defend making paraffin candles and I'm not trying to say that's wrong, I'm only telling you what I have read. As far as links on the internet, I'm afraid I don't know of any. What I have read was printed material. I'm kind of sorry I even responded to the post in the first place.

As pointed out, I never said the candles burn as hot as the sun or put out as much light as the sun. Stella seems to be trying her hardest to defend making paraffin candles and I'm not trying to say that's wrong, I'm only telling you what I have read. As far as links on the internet, I'm afraid I don't know of any. What I have read was printed material. I'm kind of sorry I even responded to the post in the first place.

Me too :P

Stella seems to be trying her hardest to defend making paraffin candles

Beekeeper, you ARE new here! :grin2: I make only vegetable wax candles and use beeswax in some of my blends. Never made a paraffin candle in my life - not that there's anything wrong with it - just not my thing.

What you don't seem to understand is that I HONESTLY want to KNOW what is the TRUTH about the "light spectrum" and the "brighter than other candles" claims. If those are FACTS and not just hype, I'd love to use things like that in my own marketing, but first I want to be sure that it's true and not just lore! I'm not pickin' on ya, hon - I'm TRYING to pick your BRAIN!!:D

I'm a stickler about marketing hype. I don't want people to buy my candles based on mumbo-jumbo - I want them to buy them because they are high quality for solid, verifiable reasons. I'm an environmentalist, but I HATE the "all natural", "green" hype that so many products are using (now that there's a market for organic products!) to simply lure people in who don't realize they are being lied to. For example:"All Natural pure soy wax" doesn't exist because soy wax is NOT natural!! It's super-hydrogenated soybean oil which is chemically extracted with hexane from GMO soybeans!!*faint* You see where I'm coming from? I want to market my products TRUTHFULLY and NOT try to deceive people into thinking something that isn't true. I also don't want to say something in my marketing that is inaccurate and give folks a bad impression of my knowledge of my products!

What I have read was printed material. I'm kind of sorry I even responded to the post in the first place.

Great! If you can locate a journal that has some hard data about this (like a test someone set up to measure the light spectrum or lumen output per hour between beeswax and other waxes using identical sized candles and wicks), could you just post the name of it, the issue and date? Hopefully we can locate it to help educate all of us!

I sincerely hope you aren't sorry you posted because we DO want to learn from you and every other member. We DO ask questions because many of us sell our products to the public and want to be sure we are representing them truthfully. Sorry you are feeling picked on, but I'm just trying to get to the facts of the matter... no offense or disrespect to you intended! And we KNEW that you didn't mean that the candles burned as hot or put out as much light as the sun - we were just horsin' around...

Beekeeper, you ARE new here! :grin2: I make only vegetable wax candles and use beeswax in some of my blends. Never made a paraffin candle in my life - not that there's anything wrong with it - just not my thing.

What you don't seem to understand is that I HONESTLY want to KNOW what is the TRUTH about the "light spectrum" and the "brighter than other candles" claims. If those are FACTS and not just hype, I'd love to use things like that in my own marketing, but first I want to be sure that it's true and not just lore! I'm not pickin' on ya, hon - I'm TRYING to pick your BRAIN!!:D

I'm a stickler about marketing hype. I don't want people to buy my candles based on mumbo-jumbo - I want them to buy them because they are high quality for solid, verifiable reasons. I'm an environmentalist, but I HATE the "all natural", "green" hype that so many products are using (now that there's a market for organic products!) to simply lure people in who don't realize they are being lied to. For example:"All Natural pure soy wax" doesn't exist because soy wax is NOT natural!! It's super-hydrogenated soybean oil which is chemically extracted with hexane from GMO soybeans!!*faint* You see where I'm coming from? I want to market my products TRUTHFULLY and NOT try to deceive people into thinking something that isn't true. I also don't want to say something in my marketing that is inaccurate and give folks a bad impression of my knowledge of my products!

Great! If you can locate a journal that has some hard data about this (like a test someone set up to measure the light spectrum or lumen output per hour between beeswax and other waxes using identical sized candles and wicks), could you just post the name of it, the issue and date? Hopefully we can locate it to help educate all of us!

I sincerely hope you aren't sorry you posted because we DO want to learn from you and every other member. We DO ask questions because many of us sell our products to the public and want to be sure we are representing them truthfully. Sorry you are feeling picked on, but I'm just trying to get to the facts of the matter... no offense or disrespect to you intended! And we KNEW that you didn't mean that the candles burned as hot or put out as much light as the sun - we were just horsin' around...

'Truth in advertising' what are you thinking? :D

I am surprise that the National Candle Association does not have more information outside of safety and market trends.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your intentions. My bad :embarasse

Truth is, when I read your comment I think my face took on the same spectrum of light as the sun! :rolleyes2

I guess I'm just a little sensitive about comments made about beeswax candles because I am continually having to defend the higher price of my candles to customers who are more intersted in the price than the quality of the products they buy. Beeswax candles are not Wal-Mart specials!!!

As far as a test someone set up to measure the light spectrum or lumen output per hour between beeswax and other waxes using identical sized candles and wicks, I don't know if I read anything like that but, I will try to find what I did read and post that information.

Satisfied? :highfive:

:yay:HOORAY!! Please do!! I have been going nutz trying to track down data about this!:yay:

sensitive about comments made about beeswax candles because I am continually having to defend the higher price of my candles
Oh man, don't we all know about THAT!!! Somehow, people seem to think that EVERYTHING should be as cheap as WalMart stuff... WHEN are they gonna catch on that the reason it's cheap is because it's CRAP?!!!

Hey - you could tell 'em it's because you have to go through an extra step to remove the MELAMINE from your candlewax!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

• 15 years later...

Hey, I’m a little late to the party. However you can conduct your own test. Take one of each type candle same size same container etc… (Same everything). Put a glass of water between each candle and a wall (or white poster board) You can see witch rainbow is brighter. This is taught in school, simple since project. Then you will know the facts vs hype. Hope that helps 😎🌈