Learning the hard way- need preservatives?

sportsmom12

I just started making homemade lotions and creams for personal use and give to friends. My first batches were used up quickly(I made smaller quantities ) Anyways, I got bigger jars on sale- I think 16 oz

For the first time I had a very bad reaction when I used my lotion. It was oatmeal honey and had turned a yucky brown but I had that problem before and assumed it was because I didn't use a stablizer for the vanilla in it. However, I am now wondering if something had gone wrong with my body cream because I don't use preservatives either and this body cream has taken me over a month to use( I have several different scents)

Questions:

1. Should I use a preservative and not even sure what to use or where to buy

2. Could my rash have been caused by mold or something from not using it?

Thanks for any advise

Yes to both.

Now to be very serious, a rash is the smallest problem you can have. There have been cases where "bad" lotion has allowed the molds/bacteria to enter the body through a cut or other break in the skin causing a staph infection. At least 2 cases I've read about resulted in death.

Scary, huh??? The price of adding a good preservative is a whole lot less than the alternative. Remember, you just aren't gambling with your health, but your loved ones and others who may use your products.

There are numerous resources here and online where you can learn more about preservatives and checking for nasty things in your lotions.

Questions:

1. Should I use a preservative and not even sure what to use or where to buy

2. Could my rash have been caused by mold or something from not using it?

Thanks for any advise