please tell me what happened?

:mad: I made a cargile C3 candle and some tarts. I used 1 oz. of peak spruce christmas tree fragrance oil, 9 drops of C&S christmas tree green dye, and 1 tablespoon universal soy additive in 1LB. of wax. I heated it to 175 and poured at 140. Cooled my candle on a cooling rack under a box. My candle and tarts turned out very different than from the first batch. My candle never really got that hard and I could stick my finger in it, when I did it felt like sand, real gritty. The tarts felt oily and the candle did too. I only added 1oz. of FO, I weighed it out the same as I did earlier today with my first batch. With the first batch everything was the same except I heated it to 160 and only added 6 drops of the dye. I was very careful both times and stirred everything carefully. I have not had much experience at all with this so I am depending on others to PLEASE help me out here.:confused: :confused: :mad::(:angry2:

I may not be of much help here. I've been testing C-3 on and off for two years now, and can't get it right. Every Batch seems to be different, even with the same Supplier. That's why it's important to keep notes with this and every Wax. Once, I think I have it down, something else arises. I've also had that gritty problem. My, notes are in the storage and I can't get to them right now. Try heating your wax between 180-190 degrees. 190 is my heating range. And like you said, stir well. I would also try pouring 10-20 degrees higher and vice versa. Starting with what you're pouring first. But, much as I can remember, a higher temp may do the trick. Maybe, someone else will chime in soon.:tiptoe:

poured at 140
Something DID change slightly about the C3 formula about 6 months ago and it is more finicky about being poured in the 130°-150° range. I usually heat to 185°F, turn off and allow the wax to come to room temperature and harden. Then I reheat it, add FO & dye and pour at 165°-160°F. I stir slowly & continuously after adding the FO & dye. If the temp in the pouring pot drops below 160°, I heat the pouring pot on an electric frying pan (stirring continuously) until the temp is right again.

The grittiness is the formation of a certain type (phase) of crystal that you don't want. You will have to heat it higher and pour hotter to eliminate that kind of crystal and encourage the nice, smooth form. Be sure not to cover the candles too tightly - having air flow all around the candles is important. I use a big box or just cool in my oven (preheated to 150° and turned off when the candles are set in there - on baking racks in a pan).

I have also let the temp fall to the point where the wax is becoming opaque and satiny in appearance before pouring, which also prevents the bad crystal formation, but is a PITA to get the wax to stay right at that temp and not become lumpy as one pours a buncha candles. Gotta get below 130°F to pull that one off right...

Try both ways and see which works better for ya - pouring hotter or pouring a lot cooler. :)