Lotion Bars a la Anne

TheQueen

Here's my recipe for lotion bars. Feel free to take this recipe and make it your own. I'm sure there could be improvements but this one works for me.

*cocoa butter 2 oz

*mango butter 1.5 oz

*olive oil 1.2 oz

*soy wax 1.5 oz

*beeswax 2 oz (I would recommend the white beeswax if you don't want yellowish bars although there's nothing wrong with them)

*fragrance to preference (as you know, some FOs are a bit stronger than others) I used OMH because it's one of my faves but I'll be doing London Lemon Curd next.

Melt the hard butters/waxes and then mix in the olive oil. Pour into whatever mold you like that will fit your presentation container (tins, etc.)--I used silicone muffin inserts in a regular muffin tin. It takes just a little bit for them to set up and they will pop right out.

• 3 weeks later...

Alot of stuff you have to buy on line. about the only thing I know you can buy in a store is the olive oil. I live in the country - you can find the amish that sell alot of the stuff too - just letting you know. I would look on the classifields for stuff.. that way you can get better shipping - and you wont have to buy such a large amount. Just a thought

I buy from

Wholesale Supplies Plus (http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/)

Lotioncrafter (http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/)

Elements Bath & Body (http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/)

From Nature With Love (http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/)

Garden of Wisdom (http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/home.html)

Oils By Nature (http://www.oilsbynature.com/)

just to name a few. Shop around and see what is out there and remember that shipping can be a factor when deciding from whom to buy. Google is your friend,

Good luck! I'm more of a hobbyist where this is concerned but it's so much fun. And I'm sure I speak for most folks here, we are always willing to help with whatever you need. :yay:

I waited weeks and weeks with all the ingredients to make lotion because I was petrified. Then one day I just jumped in with both feet and saw that it isn't rocket science. However, I must caution you to be very careful with lotion and be sure that it is preserved properly. The lotion bars are a totally different animal so I'd start with those. I added just a smidge (that's a highly technical term) of glycerin to my last batch of lotion bars and I like the texture a bit better than the original recipe posted here. Don't add too much or it will weep out and be kinda icky. I'd say, oh, three or four drops at most for this recipe.

BTW, the London Lemon Curd lotion bars are to die for. :yay:

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting. I'd never experienced a lotion bar before, so I whipped some of these up. They have a lot of drag, so I'd probably like them better if I'd had deod. tubes to pour in...

Thanks for sharing. That was fun!

By all means, please tweak it and make it your own. I like the idea of the deodorant tubes.

Merry Christmas to All!

You won't need anything to mix this with other than a spoon because it's all liquid--melt everything together in a bain marie, cool a little then add FO. Just let it cool a little bit more and pour into whatever mold you want--I use silicone muffin molds because the bars pop right out.

• 4 months later...

I made this recipe this weekend. I lowered the beeswax to 1.5 z and subbed soybean oil for the OO. Scented with Vanilla Sandalwood. It turned out wonderful. Kudos to the Queen. I also whipped this with a whisk but didn't take much to incorporate everything together.

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have looked at your recipes for lotion bar. i would like to try this using soy wax. Please tell me if this is a good combonation for the hardness the bar is suppose to have.

3oz soy wax

6oz butters- shea and cocoa butter equally

3oz oils - 1 oz avocado, 1oz grapeseed, 1/2oz jojoba, 1/2oz

sweet almond oil

1 teaspoon cornstarch

12, 000 BTU's Vit. E

If this combo is not good please inform

I put mine in a .75z twist tube. Looks like a big lip balm tube. I just ordered the 2z ones from Elements. These have been a hit for me. I don't think just using soy wax would give them the right firmness. The beeswax makes them about the consistancy of a lip balm maybe a little firmer. Just go ahead and make the recipe as written like I did and you won't have any problems with it. Then if there is something you don't like about it tweak it for yourself.

Hi, I have looked at your recipes for lotion bar. i would like to try this using soy wax. Please tell me if this is a good combonation for the hardness the bar is suppose to have.

3oz soy wax

sweet almond oil

1 teaspoon cornstarch

12, 000 BTU's Vit. E

I believe you need either a harder wax or much less oil.

• 1 month later...
is it a lotion ?? is it a bar???

It's a solid bar that you rub on the skin. This recipe doesn't feel like "lotion" to me, it's more waxy and doesn't absorb easily. However, I think that's the charm. It's portable and good for tough elbows and heels, adding a nice layer of protection during cold weather or dry heat.

Try them, they're fun!! :yay:

I put mine in a .75z twist tube. Looks like a big lip balm tube. I just ordered the 2z ones from Elements. These have been a hit for me. I don't think just using soy wax would give them the right firmness. The beeswax makes them about the consistancy of a lip balm maybe a little firmer. Just go ahead and make the recipe as written like I did and you won't have any problems with it. Then if there is something you don't like about it tweak it for yourself.

3oz soy wax

sweet almond oil

1 teaspoon cornstarch

12, 000 BTU's Vit. E

Did you adjust your recipe and use the soy wax? Was wondering if you did and how it went?