Liquid dyes vs. Dye flakes

Hi all, I usually use dye wax flakes to color my candles. But I have to heat the wax up even hotter to add the color so that it can melt the dye flakes. This makes my processing time much longer. I thought about not coloring them and my family (pretty much the only people who get my candles at this point) really liek them colored. So I am looking for something more efficient. I have never tried liquid dyes. Do they work well? Do you have to heat the wax up to a certain temp to use them? And if you do use them and love them, any suggestions as to suppliers that would be great. Oh I use EZ soy wax flakes. . . I appreciate any help!! Thanks in advance!!!

Hi all, I usually use dye wax flakes to color my candles. But I have to heat the wax up even hotter to add the color so that it can melt the dye flakes. This makes my processing time much longer. I thought about not coloring them and my family (pretty much the only people who get my candles at this point) really liek them colored. So I am looking for something more efficient. I have never tried liquid dyes. Do they work well? Do you have to heat the wax up to a certain temp to use them? And if you do use them and love them, any suggestions as to suppliers that would be great. Oh I use EZ soy wax flakes. . . I appreciate any help!! Thanks in advance!!!

I use to use the block and had the same problem so I went to dye-free candles. But I just wasnt happy with them, after a while they just seemed boring to me, I really like colors. (please no one take offense to this, this is just my opinion.) So I got some liquid dye from Natures Gardens, and love it. Now these do smell some but I cant tell in my candles, even with my black cherry that I use quite a bit of red and some brown in it.

I did hear that while you are heating up or wax you can heat up the dye flakes (this can be dont with your heat gun) so it will mix with the wax better. But I never did try this.

GL

Antonia

When we have used dye chips, we melt them in the pouring pot and add the FO to them. Then the wax is added and everything mixes mo' better. Since we add FO and dye to the pouring pots anyway, whether using chips or liquid dye, the only difference is preheating the pots on an old electric frying pan first to melt the chips. Not a biggie and no messier one way than the other.