air pocket in solidified palm wax?

I was doing a test burn on a 10 oz apothecary jar and it had a huge air pocket in it where the liquid wax solidified. The day when I re-lit it, it was like a huge crater. I have been testing my glass glow for the last 8 months and have never had an air pocket to form like this. Just wondering if anyone has ever come across this before. :confused::confused:

I always get them with palm. I'd like to say you can avoid them by pouring the right temps into the right temp jar and letting set up in the right temp conditions but I've not found a way that guarantees I won't get them

Stella taught me - mash the candles and fill in the holes. It's the only way.

I don't know if I am explaining this right or not. This is about a candle that I was doing a test burn on. The candle burned well when I lit it the first time and burned it for 4 hours. I did a test burn the next day and the air pocket formed in the wax that was melted and then solidified. I hope I am making sense about this!

I've never had a palm wax (glass glow or pillar) form air pockets when burned. I powerburn as well as time the test burns (1 hour per inch of diameter). The depth of the melt pool would have to be really DEEP for this to happen. I suspect that the pocket was already there and you did not realize it. Sometimes air bubbles from pockets lower in the candle will try to surface and get trapped on the way in the hardening wax - perhaps that's what happened in this case.

IMHO, folks need to take air trapping seriously in palm wax candles and take steps to prevent their formation. You cannot see them! If they are little, there's not much harm, but if the little air bubbles all pile up together to form a hidden cavern (which happens frequently), the melt pool can suddenly drain into the cavity causing the wick to become overexposed and flare into a torch. HTH :)

I don't know if I am explaining this right or not. This is about a candle that I was doing a test burn on. The candle burned well when I lit it the first time and burned it for 4 hours. I did a test burn the next day and the air pocket formed in the wax that was melted and then solidified. I hope I am making sense about this!

I've not had that happen (granted my experience is limited) - but I've had hidden pockets show up on the second burn...

Thank you all for your valuable input! Stella, I think that you are right, it was a very deep air pocket. My melt pool's have been about 1/2". I just thought it was odd that the first 4 hour burn everything was great. I will just have too push deeper for those air pockets when I am making my candles! Thank you all again!