Any of you watching this candle maker on ebay?

Chele

I have a friend who is a power seller on ebay and she has a lot of repeat sales with the same customers. She sells rubber stamps and has a lot of unique items that people overseas don't have access to, so they regularly shop her auctions. You can see feedback from the same people over and over again. Someone could accuse her of shill bidding based on that.

She could be shady and sell stuff to those repeat customers outside of ebay and make more money that way. But she follows the rules, which can make it appear as though she engages in shill bidding, based on the way of thinking here.

I have a friend who is a power seller on ebay and she has a lot of repeat sales with the same customers. She sells rubber stamps and has a lot of unique items that people overseas don't have access to, so they regularly shop her auctions. You can see feedback from the same people over and over again. Someone could accuse her of shill bidding based on that.

She could be shady and sell stuff to those repeat customers outside of ebay and make more money that way. But she follows the rules, which can make it appear as though she engages in shill bidding, based on the way of thinking here.

I agree, that is a very real possibility. But the fact that one person bids on every single auction and bids it up over and over is highly suspicious.

Does the same person who is doing the repetitive bidding ever win? If they don't, then I would agree that shill bidding is a possibility, but if they are the high bidder time after time, then I wouldn't be so sure.

If you look at the feedback, you will see the pattern. Every once in a while the shill bidder would have to win--not everyone is going to keep the bidding up (I for one don't do bid wars). I thought it was tooo coincidental that this person always bids up.

I wonder how they are able to prove someone is practising shill bidding? If a family member is helping to inflate the price, I don't see how they could be linked to the seller especially if they have a different last name and/or live in a different city.

Considering my husband just got popped for it - he and his brother do sales on there. Different cities, under different names - his brother and his friend do it together and it's in the friends name. One auction, one of them forgot to put up a reserve. So the other bid on it, to get it above reserve. And this was just one single time, but it was the feedback left (my husband was an idiot).

Shill bidding is the practice of bidding up, not necessarily whether or not the person wins. You can go through the bidding history to verify that also. Look at the bids and the times they are registered, for all the auctions. Right after, it's put up, the shill bidding takes place, pushes the price up, then it's a waiting game. If you triple the price of what you paid, and you don't get another bidder, the fees are nothing in comparison.

Just because it happens doesn't make it okay. I refuse to go blasse' about anything who is practicing something illegal, just because "everyone else does it".

Interesting thread. Aside for the ebay/price debate. Let's talk candle! Her candles are really cute. I wanna try some of her ideas. Here is my question. Can you put all those embeds into a candle like that and still maintain the integrity of your burn/melt pool? I make container candles and it would be easy to add in some embeds during the pour, then place some on top, but I just don't know if the candle would burn right. Does anyone on here do this or have an opinion? I always see these embeds advertised as being for GEL candles.

There is a seller on ebay that I constantly buy from. She has the most gorgeous items at times (she sews many things like dolls, clothing, etc). Anyways, I don't know her, just love her stuff and I have actually won at least 20 auctions from her in a 2 year time frame (many I lost). I give many of the items as gifts for bdays, Christmas, teachers, etc.

It is very well possible that repeat buyers are coming back for these candles. Instead of worrying about how well she sells them for, I'm thinking about how well I can sell mine.:drool: