Anyone add vybar to 6006?

JKG

Okay, after 1/2 a year of experimenting, I've settled on using 6006 for my container candles. (A big factor is that it's available an hour's drive away.) For every test batch (testing wicks), I used 1.6 oz. of fragrance oil/lb. of 6006, the maximum load IGI asserts is possible. While I found a few satisfactory wicks, I wasn't really blown away by the hot throw of any of the candles (all high quality and recommended here, on the forum). I'm considering cutting down on the fo % (to 6-8) and adding a small amount of vybar, say 1/4 tsp./pound. Has anyone had any success with adding a small--well, ANY--amount of vybar to 6006? Thanks for any results/advice. :smiley2:

(Yes, I know 6006 is a "pre-blend." :rolleyes2)

Why do you need vybar? I use 8% and get a fantastic hot & cold throw. Maybe you need better quality oils. Carole

I don't know if I need I; I'm simply asking if anyone has added it to 6006 and, if so, what his/her results were. I'm looking to improve the hot throw of my candles; I'm not as happy with it (ht) as I'd hoped to be. I used oils from Peak, Nature's Garden, Backwoods, Aroma Haven/Rustic Escentuals, Sweet Cakes, and Candle Science, all highly rated/recommended either here and/or on scentforum.com. I don't think it's the FOs; it could simply be my nose. I'll try cutting down to 8%.

Hmmmmm I have always gotten great throw with this wax. What are you using for wicks, where are you getting your fo's? What size jar are you using?

The wicks I found most satisfactory overall (i.e., with the most fragrance oils) were Peak's cotton core wicks, although LX wicks and HTP wicks also worked well with a couple of the fragrances I tested. The FOs used (12 total) were from Peak, NG, Backwoods, AH/RE, and Sweet Cakes, all highly rated/recommended. I used 4 jars--9 oz. and 12 oz. hex jars and 9.8 oz. and 12.6 oz. square "Victorian" jars. (I plan on using the square jars.)

May I ask what % FO you use most frequently? Thanks. :smiley2:

It depends on the fo, some I use 1 oz per lb. some 1/2 oz. I find that this wax does better with a cooler burning wick, like zincs. And yes you may have candle nose. I have not added vybar to 6006 or any other pre-blended container wax. I use vybar only with straight parafin, when making pillars. Hope that helps.

I use 6006 in 8 oz. and 16 oz. sq. mason jars. 1 oz. - 1-1/2 oz. per lb. depending on the FO. I use CD14's in both of those jars and I get awesome HT....Which zinc wicks are you using? (just curious).

Do you get sink holes around the wick? I've do, in about 5% of my candles when I pour. I crowd them up and keep my shop warm.....is there something else that would prevent that from happening?

Carrie

Carrie, 4 inch in diameter apoth, I use 2 44-24's. I pour them and once they harden up a bit , I run the heat gun around them and put them in a box for the rest of the cooling time.

In an 8 oz jelly jar I use one 44-24, the smaller the jar the worse the sink holes. So again I use a heat gun.

I also use 4786, not a single pour wax, same scenario with the heat gun. I am just cautious that there will be some air pocket around the wick.

I have yet to find a one pour wax that is truly a one pour wax. LOL,

Candles are a pain in the arse LOL