I found some lye *gulp* I think I am ready to soap!

RNSandSCENTS

I don't think I was clear about the cure time. I was under the impression that soaps with high amounts of OO take 6 months or more to cure. For a new soaper, I figured that making a soap with a cure time that long would take me forever to test, therefore, I wanted a recipe that cured in a shorter amount of time.....more like 4-8 weeks. All of the recipes that I have cure in that time so I'm good. I do have an extra crock pot and may even try hp method one day but for now, 1 step at a time and I will focus on cp.

I agree with the others, this has been an awesome thread. The responses have been simply wonderful. I am so glad that I started asking questions and even happier that the answers are helping others as well.

I've been looking at log molds and wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation and your reason for the recommendation. Shoe boxes are not an option as they all currently have residents in them. I went to the Silvermoon site and it appears it is down. Besides that, a couple of threads I read said there are issues with availability. I also read the thread regarding IKEA Fira molds but I wanted a mold that had a lid, something like this one...

http://www.candlesandwoodcrafts.com/woodensoapmolds.htm

I prefer to buy molds rather than start using alternative containers so that I can also learn how to cut, stamp and bevel my bars as well. One of my pet peeves is that I hate spending money on something I really didn't want in the first place because eventually I am going to buy what I wanted anyway.

Also what is the best way to store butters & oils? Should I put them in the refrigerator or just in a cool, dark place?

Just offering my encouragement. It took probably what seemed an eternity before I started making and experimenting with a lot of people chastising me for not starting with an uncolored soap and moving the traditional route so to speak (or what seemed traditional as I was trying to formulate my own recipe on my third batch.)

BTW ... I would tell people if they saw a small mushroom cloud to head to their shelters ... and I was probably 3/4 serious lol. Just treat the lye with respect and get beyond that first batch. You'll see it isn't mushroom-cloud threatening ... though you can produce a volcano with it.

Scented, thanks so much. I think my fear of the lye is just based on my incident with the house fire I was in. Lye in very cold water, very slowly....I think I can remember that. I am going to at least scent the first batch but I still am on the hunt for lye. ACE only has Rooto and not Roebic so I need to order mine, once again. But I am having so much fun with the other b&b stuff I am working on, I'll get to it. Thanks again for the encouragement. And I will have to post pics of my first batch.

RNS - coming from a person who stood where you are just 6 months ago, the lovely ladies here (and a few gentlemen :) ) convinced me, that while it CAN be dangerous, I was afraid of nothing really, IF, and this is a big IF to follow - I followed all the proper precautions and did not soap around children or animals.

Since then, I haven't found a success with a recipe yet, but I've made around 15 batches. Some good, some horrid - but nothing yet quite like what I am looking for.

Just remember 3 things - goggles, gloves and hair net. The hair net is dual - keeps your hair out of soap, but also keeps your hair out of your face from accidentally wanting to brush it back with gloved hands that may have a bit of lye.

You'll do fine - I did and it was thanks to everyone here.

BTW, funny but true, I started on M&P and said I would never do CP. Here I am! Curiousity got the best of me.

Miss Mary can you tell me what kind of lye you are using NaOH or KOH? Just curious. I can get Rooto brand fairly easy but I am a bit hesitant because of the things I have read here about this particular brand making batches more unpredictable. I just wish I could find a supplier closer than TX.....shipping, shipping, I am so tired of paying for shipping! But at the same time, there aren't a lot of suppliers close to me, heck, we only have 3 suppliers in MD and they don't really carry much and the one who carries Shea is a bit expensive....$38 for 3 #s.....yikes!

Yes the ladies have been really encourgaing and the pics...OMG....I have got to learn to do this. I almost want to jump on a plane and just watch Grumpy & Soapfreak! Unbelieveable!

I think I will probably get mine from The Chemistry Store they have both types. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between NaOH and KOH? I have been reading, reading, reading and can only see that NaOH is bead form and KOH is flake form. And I think I read that NaOH is 100% and KOH is 90%. I think one forum said something about KOH being a little easier to keep your batches from being lye heavy....that sounds a little weird to me. So I guess my question is really what is the difference, and, should I get it from a place like The Chemistry Store or AAA, or would Rooto give me the same results? Did any of that make any sense?:confused:

I think I will probably get mine from The Chemistry Store they have both types. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between NaOH and KOH? I have been reading, reading, reading and can only see that NaOH is bead form and KOH is flake form. And I think I read that NaOH is 100% and KOH is 90%. I think one forum said something about KOH being a little easier to keep your batches from being lye heavy....that sounds a little weird to me. So I guess my question is really what is the difference, and, should I get it from a place like The Chemistry Store or AAA, or would Rooto give me the same results? Did any of that make any sense?:confused:

Simplest way explained to me once on this board was -

NaOH is best for bars of soap.

KOH is best for liquid soap.

It has to say 100% sodium hydroxide on the bottle. Lowes doesn't carry it in my area so I buy the rooto from a hardware store and it works fine for my bar soap. Chemistry store is pretty pricey though if you can't get it at lowes or a hardware store salt city soap works is pretty cheap https://www.saltcitysoapworks.com/store/store.php?crn=216&rn=382&action=show_detail or true value http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-52713/LB%2C-Rooto-No.-4/Detail

Simplest way explained to me once on this board was -

NaOH is best for bars of soap.

KOH is best for liquid soap.

I read this last night in an old post. Thanks a bunch!

It has to say 100% sodium hydroxide on the bottle. Lowes doesn't carry it in my area so I buy the rooto from a hardware store and it works fine for my bar soap. Chemistry store is pretty pricey though if you can't get it at lowes or a hardware store salt city soap works is pretty cheap https://www.saltcitysoapworks.com/store/store.php?crn=216&rn=382&action=show_detail or true value http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-52713/LB%2C-Rooto-No.-4/Detail

Soycrazy....thanks so much for the link! I can buy Rooto at the hardware store and I think I may give it a shot and if it give me problems I will order from Salt City as they are only in NY.

Soycrazy....thanks so much for the link! I can buy Rooto at the hardware store and I think I may give it a shot and if it give me problems I will order from Salt City as they are only in NY.

No problem I actually like the rooto brand much better than the stuff from lowes it's much fresher I notice I get more gel which is great :)