When adding FO's

vberkesch

When I add my FO's am I suppose to take out that same amount from the oils in the recipe to make up the difference? I havent been doing that and my soaps have been turning out. I use a 5% discount for the lye mixture.

How about when adding honey?

Thanks so much...I ask a lot of questions, but you all are soo great here! Vanessa

When I add my FO's am I suppose to take out that same amount from the oils in the recipe to make up the difference?

No, not at all necessary. I've never deducted any oil or water from my formula to make up the difference due to the F/O, and my soaps always come out great. There's absolutely no need to, and unless you know exactly what your F/O contains, there's a potential that doing so could actually throw your formula off.

To explain- if you were to deduct from your oils, I'm pretty sure that doing so would lead to your lye amounts being off. Not a good thing.

Although it would be safer to deduct from your water amount, this, too, could be problematic if you are using a F/O prone to seizing.

RE: Honey- I regularly use honey in some of my soaps and never deduct from my oil or water amounts when adding it, and they come out great, too. (I never go over 1 tbsp. ppo with honey)

HTH!

MarieJeanette :smiley2: