discoloration in glass glow

I made a 31/2" and a 4" container using glass glow from Peaks. I used 2 csn 7's in them both. The 31/2" is a balmoral jar with a smaller opening than the 4" The 31/2 " discolored after a 3 hour burn. It is not real bad, but this was the first burn. The 4" did not discolor. My question is will the discoloration get worse the more it is burned? After a little more work on these, I would like to start selling these in our health food store, so I am wondering if any of ya'll sell the glass glow, do you have this problem and if so what do you tell people that purchase them? :smiley2:

I made a 31/2" and a 4" container using glass glow from Peaks. I used 2 csn 7's in them both. The 31/2" is a balmoral jar with a smaller opening than the 4" The 31/2 " discolored after a 3 hour burn. It is not real bad, but this was the first burn. The 4" did not discolor. My question is will the discoloration get worse the more it is burned? After a little more work on these, I would like to start selling these in our health food store, so I am wondering if any of ya'll sell the glass glow, do you have this problem and if so what do you tell people that purchase them? :smiley2:

Hey I dont know anything about glass glow but I was wondering why you double wicked the balmoral jar? This is the jar I am working on right now, the 4.5 oz and also the 16 oz. I havent finished the testing yet but I really think the CD18 (the 16 might work also, these are taking forever to finish up) is going to work on the 16oz one, which is 3 1/2 in diam. I was just wondering if you have found that single wicking these jars just dont work?

And did you use any dye with the glass glow? With my soy I have found that if my wick is too hot it will discolor my dye free candles or if they are colored it will completely take the color out of part of the melted wax. But I dont know if this is why glass glow did it to you too, as I dont use it.

Sorry I wasnt any help.

Antonia

From my testing, Glass Glow will discolor. Other wax can do this as well. It is caused by the reaction from the heat - a certain temp. It will do it with double wicking more so because it gets hotter. If the jar is wider it does not get as hot, so there may not be as much of a problem in the 4 inch jars. I have had other waxes discolor in double wicked 4 inch apothecaries, but to me Glass Glow is very noticeable -- a grey dingy look in the uncolored Palm. Even though I have not tested the Glass Glow in the Balmorals, I know that they would get hotter because of the narrower mouth and narrower bottom. I was trying to double wick the the Madison jars with uncolored Glass Glow. I ended up not being able to use this wax for my uncolored spa line because several oils would discolor in the meltpool really bad. Not very pretty. If they were colored fairly dark, it would most likely not be noticeable. I am sure though that the very light colors would do it as well but would not be as noticeable. It did not discolor when I single wicked it, but I was not successful with single wicking it - did not want to have to deal with training the customers how Palm can leave a shell, etc. Basically, it comes down to finding the right jar for the wax one wants to use. I have learned that not every jar is perfect for every type of wax.

Did you use color? If you can use the darker colors it will not be real noticeable, if at all. But, some scents require either no color or light color. Also, some oils will make it worse than others. I noticed the longer and hotter it burned the uglier it got but it did not get worse and worse -- just got ugly and stayed ugly.

Good luck with it. :)

Thank you both for your thoughts. This was just pure inexperience in candle making. When I started out I ordered several jars, the balmoral and the apothecary, because I thought they would make pretty candles. After deciding to go with the palm wax, I thought the jars just seem to fit the beauty of the wax. With the balmoral jar I started out with the rrd wicks. I have used rrd's 37,40,47,& 55. The rrd47 I have actually burned and got a pretty good burn, it didn't start to discolor until the very end and the sent really seemed to be off at this point. The other jar I made with the 47 I am on my 3rd test burn right now, and still have a lot of hang up on one side. There is no discoloration as of yet. When I made these jars, I used 1oz FO per lb of wax and a few snips of the color dye chips, they are not very dark. When trying to find new wicks, I bought some csn's and on the 4" I tried 2 csn 11's and went down to 2 csn 7's I am on my 2nd test burn on it and am happy with the way it is burning! Can you use dark colors with the Glass Glow without it clogging the wick or is this even a problem? I know this is lengthy, I'm sorry. If I can't make these work, I am going to be stuck with a whole case of these balmoral jars! Debbie