What's a Fair Commission

countryg

hI, Everyone,

I don't usually post much here, but lurk around for great advice usually..

I am in the process of placing a gals candle line on my website, this will be jar candles. I am doing this because I have stopped making candles and still want to offer them to my customers.

The gal currently does not have a website setting and is interested in doing this for more exposure..

What I need to know is this, what would be fair compensation for this service to her. I will be setting it up for her , will adding the candles to one of my pages. I would possibly do this for her for free, but when and if a order gets placed what would be a fair amount of commission for my service .. I don't want to scare her away .. but we would have to set up some kind of system to make sure everyone is happy with how the orders are handled and money is distributed..

anyone have a similar situation or comments.. I would love to hear them..

thanks

Diane

Do you mean a commission for you, or a commission for her? You are both helping each other out, but normally, when someone is advertising a product on their website it's a product they pay for and have in inventory or else they drop ship. When they drop ship, they still owe the supplier money although it's really paid for by the customer that orders from you.

Do you see what I'm trying to say? She could actually be charging you! How much exposure does your site get? Do you have a lot of sales? If you expect candle sales to be an important part of your site and you need her (or someone else) I can't see that you should charge very much--certainly enough to cover credit card fees.

I could see charging a 20% fee if your website was strictly geared toward candles made my any crafter who wanted them on your website. The way it sounds now, unless you've got an outstanding website with hundreds of hits a day, it just doesn't sound fair to charge much for it.

Ok, the gal will be shipping and stocking the candles, she is just wanting more exposure and since I don't have jar candles anymore it would be nice to still offer them.. I will be taking the orders off my website with the fees involved, then faxing the order to her, it will be her responsibility to ship.. She will get the majority of the sale of course, but since my site is ranked in the top 20 of google , sometimes on page 1 it is worth something. We can both win here if I can get it setup and we both agree.

thanks for your comments..

Diane

What you are asking for is drop shipping from this girl. I am a drop shipper (I am the one shipping out) so I will tell you what I give my drop shipping clients(they promote my product). You would be this girl's client.

This would be what you would keep if you where my client.

Monthly sales

Up to $50 = 10%

$50-$100 = 20%

$101- $250 = 25%

$251-$500 = 30%

$501- $750 = 35%

$750 and up = 40%