pure soy help

Hi

I'm new to this board and would love your advice.

I took a year off from making candles and would like to start up again. I have some scents, wicks and a little wax left. I have enoug of the wax I like to make a few candles but I have a 10 pound bag of pure soy. I had bought this by mistake last year and now would like to possibly use it. I can't remember where I bought it since it is in a plain bag. I would like to make some jars and some votives. I have never worked with pure soy so ANY advice on how to start, when to pour, any additives ect would be such a great help! Thanks in advance! :)

Every soy is a little bit different, but here are a few ideas.

This goes for most, but not all soys. Usually heated up to about 170-180, usually poured cool/slushy. This is when the wax when you stir it, starts getting thick and a milk consistency. For wicking, it is usually a couple of sizes up from what is normally recommended for paraffin. Most soys after setting up can be a little rough on the top, this is typical for soy. Some use an additive such as beeswax or stearic to help smooth out the tops. A few don’t need it, and some people just don’t care if the tops are rough or not.

Soy almost always needs to be poked and repoured. Sometimes soy frosts on the sides, which is typical. I have noticed with some of my darker colors. I am sure you will have a ton of questions once you have made your first candle and see how it looks and performs.

I have done candles using ecosoya and have not had to repour ever. I've worked with that soy for a while so I am used to the method. I am thinking that I will try and use just the pure soy and I wont add anything in. we'll see how that goes. I dont sell candles so if the top is rough it's alright. What size should wicksshould I try for votives and jars? I have never worked with parrafin.