Newbie Questions.. I know

I know I know another silly question :grin2:

I seem to be getting overwhelmed, I am sure it is easy to do. I have a couple of questions and am looking for suggestions on testing. When I melt 1 pound of wax I end up with two of the 8 oz masons. Should I pour 2 scented the same or do two with different scents?

I just don't want to end up with two candles same scent with same size wicks. How do/did you do it when you started out or when you test a new scent?

Also how many do you test at one time? Do you stick with one scent until you get it figured out and then move on as to not have 10 different scents poured and none of them perfected?

Hope I made sense, if not let me know and I will re-word.

I always test and perfect one scent at a time. That way I dont have a ton of things sitting around all the time.

There is a calcuator on the left hand side of this board where you can figure out how much wax and scent you need for each container that way you dont have to melt and pour a whole pound and have too much.

In Candletch Links> Click on General Info then >then click Handy Calculators

Good Luck!

Kim

Kim,

Thanks! I did not know that was there! So my conatiner empty was 7 ounces, filled with water it was 14.65 and suggested I melt 6.58 ounces of wax. How would I go about figuring out how much FO to use? I had been using 1 ounce per pound. Would it be okay to just use 1/2 ounce or would it not work since that is actually more per pound?? Hmmm!

Another thing you can do, is to use the # all scented the same but use 2 different size or type wicks to see which you like the results with best for that scent. If there is any extra, pour it into a tin, small glass container or clamshell and use it on a warmer to test wickless/melts out of the same batch.

Another thing you can do, is to use the # all scented the same but use 2 different size or type wicks to see which you like the results with best for that scent. If there is any extra, pour it into a tin, small glass container or clamshell and use it on a warmer to test wickless/melts out of the same batch.

Would the clamshells work with container wax? I am using C-3. I thought you had to use a different type of wax for that.

Would the clamshells work with container wax? I am using C-3. I thought you had to use a different type of wax for that.

I use a little USA in my C3 and they pop out of the clamshell with no problem. I used to mix waxes for melts, but not anymore, this is way easier! I have read here that some use straight C3 with no problem in the clamshells.