So many different prices for fragrance oils

Debra Phelps

I can't understand why the scent companies have so many different prices. This bad economy thing has made everything a mess. Some suppliers went up 5.00 a bottle on some oils. I talked to NGs today, because I noticed her's is much cheaper than other companies. She said they have no plans to go up. Yet other companies are telling me they have to go way up. Patchouli went up really high, yet NGs is 13.95 a lb. And 12.95 if you by 5 bottles. I know one company, (I don't want to say the name), that is charging 18.00 a lb for creme brulee, when I know for fact that it is only 7.00 a lb their cost. To me that is price gouging. Just because everything is going up, doesn't mean everybody should get on the bank wagon to make money. When their products go up they should go up, if it doesn't, they should not go up. If NGs can sell for less, it makes me think that some of these companies are just making money off of us the wrong way. I think I will switch a lot of my scents to NGs. Just had to vent. :angry2::confused::mad: :embarasse :tongue2: *faint* :read:

NG has a few good oils, but I haven't found many that work with my wax. Their Patchouli, which you refer to, isn't very good IMHO and doesn't have much Patchouli EO in it, which would make the price a lot cheaper. Patchouli EO went sky high because of a big crop failure overseas last year and hopefully will come down this fall if the crop yield is better. If you check some of the other EO's, their prices have risen also. A company that uses a lot of EO's in their FO's, will naturally have higher prices than those that use little to no EO's in their blends.

We don't know a company's overhead, shipping costs, or what they spend on research & development that all has to be included in their prices, which probably has gone up also. Stating that they just pay $7.00/lb. for an FO is very misleading, as it doesn't include all the hidden costs any company has. Since there are so many suppliers out there, you can pick and choose who you buy from. But, sometimes cheap is just that and you get what you pay for. Sometimes expensive doesn't always mean it will work either......that's why we all test alot to see what works best for our own candles. :cool2:

What's wrong with a company making a profit? I expect to make at least double my cost when I wholesale. Seems that is what this fo company is doing. Out of that comes utilities, shipping and paying the help that gets the stuff to you. Fo's come in different qualities. The companies I pay more for their oils I tend to have to use less so I'm ahead when compared to having to use 1.5 oz per pound of the cheaper oils. Matter of fact, if I can't use 1 oz per pound or less.. I don't use it. Companies that weak oils just are not worth my time. This is not a hobby. I have no problem with people I buy supplies from making a profit. Means they will be there when I need to reorder. You want gouging.. buy some jewelry.

Read the reviews from the different companies FO on this forum, then you can shop around. Berts are very well priced but she keeps her overheads to a minimum, doesn't effect the quality of the product. Candlewic has sales, so wait for those, in fact there is a sale on right now with 25% off I think. Read all reviews and you will know what to buy and where

I used a lot of NGs oils about 7 years ago with no problems. Not all of them, but maybe 30. Maybe they have changed some since then. If I switch over, I will get samples to make sure they are the same. As far as the 7.00 a lb one. It is my top seller. I buy it from the company that makes it. Most of their oils are around 10-12 a lb. That is why they have to go way up on the oils. But I didn't see why he went even higher on this one that didn't go up so much. I don't think it is right, and I will stick with my opinion. Yes they need to make a profit, but give people a break when you can. Jewelry is price gouging. You are right. I sell it, I know what it cost. I have lower prices than most and still make good on it. I just wanted you to watch and check out prices. I only use top quality, highly scented oils. I am very picky. I go thru samples like water. And I was glad to see NGs was keeping theirs down, that is all. :highfive: