Using IGI 4627 - Wick Question

Hi everyone!

My name is Allison and I am new to the forum (how many times have you heard that?!) and have been making candles for just a few months. I've been using the IGI 4627 and have been testing wick after wick after wick. The containers that I have been using are frosted tumblers that are 3" in diameter and 3 1/2" in height. I've been testing with the HTP Series of wicks and someone please tell me if this is crazy - but the ones that seem to have the best burn results are the HTP 105's. From what I have read on here, it doesn't seem that anyone uses a wick that big. Could someone enlighten me please? I thank you in advance for any words of wisdom that you might have!

Thank you,

Allison

The only thing that I am adding to the wax is FO - to be specific, I've tried Ocean Mist from ICS, Chocolate Milk from CS, White Tea and Ginger from ICS and Lavender from Peak. I've tried more, but those are the most recent.

Thank you!

Allison

Hi Kate - Thanks for your reply!

The melt pool is not quite a half inch deep. What I meant by burn results, was not as much for scent throw but because the HTP 105 has been the only wick that has made the melt pool the entire diameter of the tumbler. The scent throw seems pretty good...I am using a little less than 8% FO. The jar is pretty warm but I wouldn't say that it is 'hot.' But close to hot...I don't know...I guess to put it in best perspective, I could hold it for quite a while without my fingers being uncomfortable. I just realized that I should have put the thermometer in there to check...part of being new, I hope. How high of a temperature is to high?

Thanks so much!

Allison

Hi Allison,

How long are your test burns?

What I meant by jar temp was ... can you comfortably touch the glass at the end of a three or four hour burn. If it's to hot for you to touch at that time then I would say that the wicks to big for the container.

The test burn is usually about an hour for every inch diameter of the container (example: 3 in. container ... 3 hr. test burn). You should do several test burns ... using all the wax up of the candle. If a candle burns well all the way to the bottom then I would say that you have a winner ... lol.

I also wanted to add that as far as wicks go, use what works for you (Keeping saftey in mind). You could also try another type of wick to see if you liked it better. Although I tend to be partial to the HTP wicks for the 4627 I have used RRDs and Eco wicks sucessfully also.

Good Luck!

Kate

My test burns are normally four hours. I haven't let one burn all the way to the bottom, so that is my next step. I've just been worried that HTP 105's are way too big. The 93's just don't quite get it...

Thanks again for all of your help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Allison

You might stick with the 93 and test burn all the way down. One of my candles doesn't burn all the way out the first two burns, but it starts to catch up as it gets deeper into the candle. I know there's quite a few chandlers here that have it the same way. IMO, as long as it consumes itself by the end of the entire candle, then it's great. I actually prefer it this way, because very rarely does the outside get too hot to hold the candle at all.