Jump to content

Was it me, the pomace, or the lye?


Recommended Posts

I made the following recipe Sunday afternoon, and when I unmolded it today, I had to trim about 1/4 inch from the sides because they were still 'creamy'~~a little softer than playdough.

Ran through soapcalc, 2 pound recipe:

65% Olive Pomace

35% Coconut oil

LS 30%

SF 8%

2 oz fo

1/2 tsp pink kaolin clay

Everything went as usual, it took a bit longer to trace, but was definitely at trace when I poured. I also noticed that it was still warm yesterday morning when I checked it, and you could tell it gelled, but not quite all the way to the edges. Plus it ashed quite a bit, but that part doesn't really bother me.

Normally I can unmold after 24 hours, but yesterday it was still really soft, so I waited till today when I got home from work. No zap, but I haven't cut it into bars yet, too soft. The lye I used was from AAA chemicals, it was the cheaper stuff that they sell :( Trying to save a buck. The lye is not pure white like I'm used to, it's an off white color. This is also the first time using the pomace and the clay. What happened? Any ideas? Thanks for any input!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think the lye was your problem, AAA sells great lye and there's no reason to use food grade lye, the tech. grade is fine. I think the problem is that it's a 65% olive oil recipe (not really a problem). That much olive will take a while to set up. Just give it extra time..I've had to wait a couple of days to unmold batches with higher % of OO. HTH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great! I'm glad to hear it isn't the lye :) That was worrying me.

I trimmed it and just set the whole slab back in the mold, and will check it each day. Looking at it, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong other than the softness. I mean, the texture looks to be consistent throughout~~no separation, oily spots, holes, lye crystals, etc. Keeping my fingers crossed it hardens up like it supposed to :cheesy2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think your okay. I actually do like to leave most of my soaps in the mold a couple of days, no matter what recipe I use. Hope to see pics of it once it is cut. Sounds like it will take a while to cure but it will be a nice soap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay I am going to attempt to add pics of the soap here, one indoors and one outdoors. They were cut day before yesterday and are hardening up slowly but surely, guess I just got paranoid :shocked2: . These are not trimmed or anything, so be kind lol! Woa, these pics ended up being big~sorry to my fellow dial up users:(



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...