Need help w/ 9 1/2 inch tall mold...

I recently purchased two 3 x 9 1/2 inch round pillar molds. When I was buying them I didn't stop to think of how I would use a wick pin or wick it before pouring. My problem is that I have wick pins, however they are only 6 inches tall. So...I decided to wick the mold before pouring the wax...I threaded it through the hole and secured it with heavy duty duct tape. I put several layers over the bottom, criss crossing it and pressing out any air bubbles. The pieces of duct tape were long enough to wrap around the sides and up the side of the mold about 1/2 an inch. I figured that it was done well enough...so I poured my wax (palm wax at 210 degrees)..and within 5 seconds the entire bottom was leaking all over. Needless to say I made a waxy mess...I tried it again...only this time increasing the duct tape by two more layers. The same thing happened.

So now I'm open to any suggestions that you may have as far as how I can wick this thing without it leaking out the bottom. I would prefer using a wick pin, but I have not found any place that sells wick pins that are at least 9 1/2 inches. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 2-3/8 X 9-1/2 plastic myself. I always use duct tape to seal the bottom. Press the tape directly onto the stem opening, then press it down and around. The trick is to look down the tube as you press the tape all around the stem, making sure to press out any air bubbles, especially near the stem. You can easily see when the tape is tight to the plastic and when it isn't. HTH