wick question

ok... my turn for a wick question. I am experimenting with flat and square braid wicks for my pillars. I am goin to try square next, and the mold size suggests #1 square braid. Now here is where I am confused. Several places show a 1/0 and a #1.... whats the difference? They both show good for 3" pillars... im so confused.. which isnt hard lately...lol.... any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Hi, The info I have suggests that the 1/0 is used for 3-3.5" pillars and the #1 is used for 3.5-3.75". HTH. Personally, I have used the 1/0 for my 3" paraffin pillars but prefer the 30ply flat braid as I find the 1/0 just a little undersize. Haven't tried the #1 yet though. Would be interested in your opinion seeing as you are experimenting with both. Just one other thing, remember that the sq braid needs to be inserted in your pillar with the "v" of the braid pointing to the bottom of the candle (top of the mould) whereas you can stick the flat braid in any old how.

Just one other thing, remember that the sq braid needs to be inserted in your pillar with the "v" of the braid pointing to the bottom of the candle (top of the mould) whereas you can stick the flat braid in any old how.
Square braid isn't directional. The grain of the braid goes in both directions (depending on which side you look at) just like flat braid, so you can use them both any old way.