Changing wicks

When I did mine I just used different votives. Personally I wouldn't switch wicks during test burning of a votive. You will see that voitves will burn completely different upon first lighting, after the wax falls out of the center into the holder (which at this time may also inidcate you need a stiffer, i.e. cored wick since they may flop over too much at this point), and then when it liquifies across the whole surface. After trying RRD, Zinc, HTP, and cotton, I actually found the cotton burned the best for me - all things considered.

IMO votives need to be tested with a wick from start to finish. JMO.

when testing votives I usually make votives in multiples of 6

I test 3 votives at a time in identical snug fitting holders with 3 different size wicks (I use LXs) I light them at the same time and place in similar areas (room size, draft patterns etc - so they are on an even playing field so to speak) I can then determine which burns better, has best scent throw, etc

I test the next set of 3 in the same manner but with a loose votive holder......

I then choose the wick that performs the best in BOTH settings

Try using your teeth. Works for me.

Top, you are always so helpful but I'm just not too sure that I'd do it properly without practice so would you mind sending me a video of exactly how you do it (or just loan me YOUR teeth for a few days seeing as we know that they work)! LOL :tongue2:

when testing votives I usually make votives in multiples of 6

I test 3 votives at a time in identical snug fitting holders with 3 different size wicks (I use LXs) I light them at the same time and place in similar areas (room size, draft patterns etc - so they are on an even playing field so to speak) I can then determine which burns better, has best scent throw, etc

I test the next set of 3 in the same manner but with a loose votive holder......

I then choose the wick that performs the best in BOTH settings

Nodding head in agreement.

I do/did the same thing. I make several votives, put different wicks in each, and line them up on my computer table where I know there's no draft. Watching them side by side can be quite an illuminating experience.

I've found that a CD6 works best for me in the OK6228 and I don't need to test them anymore. Only if I run out of CD6s do I start testing other wicks. On the mottling wick I use LX12 (thanks Eugenia!).

In the parasoy blend I bought from KY, I had 6 or 7 votives lined up with different wicks. In my opinion, for my blend, the HTP52's worked best, as the CD's just seemed to want to smoke too much.

DanaE