Candle Warmers & Vegetable Wax WARNING

Yikes. I was reading the instructions for my new candle warmer (Sensible Aromas by Provo Craft...Wal-Mart). It says, "Never use the warmer with vegetable wax based candles. Using vegetable based wax candles on the warmer is likely to cause the candle to explode." Holy Moly!!

Anyone know if this is true for parasoy candles?? I was planning on giving relatives some parasoy wickless and candle warmers for Christmas. Now I'm not so sure. Phoeey.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along the warning.

D

Not True, that is just ridiculous.

Not True, that is just ridiculous.

That was my initial thought too. I've made a lot of wickless candles and tarts in soy wax, and personally had no problems with my own testing. I have heard of wickless candles "spitting" wax out of the jar when they melt through at the top. I don't know if it was soy or paraffin in these cases. I suspect that it was because they were using an inappropriate warmer, such as a coffee mug warmer, which gets hotter than a candle warmer. I have also heard of soy wax tarts smoking. Couldn't this be due to excessive FO? Couldn't fragrance oil alone smoke in an oil burner? I'm pretty sure I've heard of that happening too. Some soy waxes are capable of holding more FO, so if people "super scent" them, they might smoke for that reason. I'm just trying to present all of the possibilities here, because I can't think of any logical reason that a vegetable wax would be more dangerous than paraffin on a candle warmer. Another thought: if vege waxes are supposed to be more "explosive" than paraffin (according to the aforementioned candle warmer instructions), why can you melt soy wax in a presto pot, but you are supposed to melt paraffin over a double boiler?

Maybe they are referring to palm wax? I've never worked with that before.