Insect Repellant Spray

Alajane

I just saw these instructions on the BCN cyclo ordering page and have a question about it:

"Insect Repellent Spray: Just add your favorite blend of bug repellant EO’s such as Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Citronella, Cedarwood, Catnip, Tea Tree, Lavender, etc. No nasty chemical smell like you get in commercial insect repellents!"

I've decided not to carry Citronella any more because it doesn't sell well for me, but I do happen to have eucalyptus and peppermint EOs on hand. I wondered how much of these oils I should use for this spray (just want to make it for when the grandchildren are at my house, not to sell).

TIA for any help,

Jane

I mixed some stuff for personal use the other day and so far so good. It even worked on chiggars when I picked blackberries this morning and that's a blessing.

Distilled water

Eo-Peppermint, clary sage, cedarwood and lavender

I had no set amounts of eo...just play with it. Daughter said it smells strong and just remember to shake container since the water and eo doesn't blend. I've used it on my 8 yo grandson and had no problems. It also smells great...you really smell the peppermint and cedarwood.

Ginger -- you can use Polysorbate 80 or 20 to get the water & oil to blend. It's been a couple yrs since I did this, but I think the general suggested use is equal amounts of Polysorbate & fo. It's an emulsifier & works like a dream -- no more separated oils in your spray. I'm lazy, so I prefer to use cyclomethicone as a base for all my sprays. BTW, we're having a bigger problem this yr w/ those huge, biting flies. Is there a blend to keep those bad boys at bay?

Susan.