Donations and samples for a charity event

SpaceGirl

One of the nibbles I've gotten from doing a recent show is to provide product samples and/or donations in support of a charity event this fall. The event is called the Scream Scram and supports both Multiple Sclerosis research as well as pediatric cancer research and support. The event is in its 9th year, I've googled both the event and the PR firm that contacted me and they appear legitimate.

So while I am in no position financially to make an outright monetary donation I am considering some product donations as an advertising method. I could potentially get a booth near the start/finish line to display some product and information. My logo and information would be included in some press release stuff, etc... They are also looking for freebies to give to the participants, like lip balms.

Since the business portion of this is all still young for me (less than 1 year of being legitimate and online) I am always on the lookout for ways to get my name and product out there. This looks like a decent way to do that and associate myself with a good cause at the same time.

My question for y'all is have you ever participated in a charity event like this where you get no immediate $$$ return, in fact you put yourself out there with considerable product investment (could "cost" me around $500), and what has your experience with it been?

If you are wanting to just donate go for it but I have found that you get very little return for charity stuff. I rarely get return business not only that but you get put on the list that they pass around it doesn't take long before you are recieving 5 to 6 calls a week wanting you to donate for this or that. They think because you are a business you can just give away money and product left and right.

It just a so-so way to get your name out there.

I completely agree with Vicky. When I first started out, I did not mind donating to charities. I felt I was doing a good thing while getting my name out there. I too thought it would bring in more sales. WRONG!! Next thing I know, every darn charity in my city now wants donations and I am constantly bombarded with requests and hands out. I've had to put my foot and down and greatly reduce those that I will donate to and be more selective with my choices.

I sent in free full sized products plus $100.00 for the MTV movie awards. What I got in return was a bunch of PR invites to other awards ceremonies that would cost me more than $5,000 each venue. It was a big waste of my time and energy...not to mention my product and money.