What's the difference....

MsDammit

Are you talking about ingredient wise?

IMO... there's not much difference. I use BTMS in place of e-wax for conditioners (but BTMS can also be used in skin lotions too), and the additives (extracts, proteins, etc)/oils/butters you choose to add and the % will give it a slightly different feel.

I've used lotions I've made for my skin as hair conditioners and shaving cream. I've also used conditioners that I have made for my hair as skin lotion. As long as I know what's in it, I have no problem using it on both my hair or my skin. :grin2:

To me, a lotion is made to be extra emollient and rich and is MADE to remain behind. Where as a conditioner for hair is made to rinse clean. If your hair can handle it, you could use lotion for hair, but not every one across the board can nor every lotion across the board should be used in such a way. Also, I'm sure some lotions have things that might be a bit harsh on hair and could actually cause it to dry out after a while.

But there is no strict reason why you can't try it as each one will give different results. I wouldn't suggest rubbing it into your scalp though. I would guess that things are more readily absorbed through your scalp and it's really the ends and top layer that would need the extra moisture of a lotion.

I belive the main difference are the ingredients selected. with a hair conditioner, ingredients that rinses away easily are possibly the main concern where as this may not be a big concern with lotions. Like CBE, i use a whipped butter on my hair as well as body. it really depends on what the person's skin/hair can tolerate. i know of many people who use commercial pomades for hair and body and quite a few companies even market it that way.