joy/soy/scent throw and curing need help!

Ok so I am kind of new to the candle making thing and I am going nuts. I started with Joy wax and had lots of problems with tunnels and holes. Used zinc wicks and had good scent throw. Tried all soy (also from NG) but didn't have good cold scent. Next tried half joy half soy with hemp wicks (didn't like the zinc thing) But my cold scent wasn't good. Per NG I heated and mixed poured per the joy directions. Last few days I have went back to just the joy with htp 83 (I am using half pint mason's) but now I feel like there is no scent at all hot or cold _ am I immune to scent? But no one else can smell them either. Can someone please tell me what the heck is wrong? Do joy candles need to cure even though NG says they don't and how do you get the most cold/hot throw scent from soy. BTW I am doing 1 ounce pp

Thanks

Tammy :confused:

Hi Tammy,

I sure do understand the scent throw frustration. Sometimes it depends on the type of fragrance oil used. Which scent and where from? Some scents can be duds in certain waxes and not in other waxes, so you kinda have to shop around to find the right scents for your wax. I go through duds from time to time.

You may want to go back to the zinc wick. Did the HTP maintain a healthy flame and did it create a full meltpool? Some may disagree, but I find that double wicking increases scent throw -- especially in the larger jars which would be used in larger rooms. Which jar are you using? Also, I tend to use more than 1 oz. of FO per pound with most oils (even the expensive ones) to get the type of scent throw I like. But, there are many who do not go over 1 oz. per pound and say they get an awesome throw. Maybe the particular scent you are using is one of the ones that needs to go over 1 oz. per pound.

Have you tested many scents in the Joy Wax? Keep testing and you will find out which wax and fragrance oil combinations will work for you and will give you that great scent throw! Keep us posted.

~Holly :)