Are these FO's from Bert's skin safe?

number2of7

Hi All,

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the B&B section, but thought I'd start here first.

I purchased some of Bert's FO's....hubby is wanting to use them for his soap. They don't specify skin safe on her site, only "untested"

Here's the list:

Bamboo & Basil

Tea Leaf & Grapefruit

Lavender & Lemongrass

Blue Vanilla

Does anyone know if these are safe for soapmaking?

Thanks so much!

Why not email Bert and ask her?

Her website says "untested"

It's just that I've seen these fragrances used in soaps before....are just certain FO's from certain suppliers different? It would just seem that if an FO was skin safe from one supplier than it would be the same for all. :confused:

Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm the candle person of the business....hubby is my bath & body man! :)

You must go by what each supplier lists as to the applications their fragrances are safe for. Many differerent manufacturers out their and the names mean nothing as to what the actual components are in the fragrances. Candle fragrances are just that-only for candles. Skin safe are formulated to be safe used in skin preparations. Maybe Carbear will chime in here-I believe she works for a FO manufacturer. I do know that you cannot just "test" them yourself and say "Hmm, no rash , must be safe". Long term effects of skin absorption etc. must be considered.

Carebear, WHERE ARE YOU????

Glo

:)

Skin safe FOs are compounded following very strict guidelines from organizations like IFRA. These guidelines include not only what ingredients are safe, but at what level which is why the vendors often specify a recommended use level in leave-on products. (BTW: candle FOs also have guidelines as some chemicals are not safe when heated or burned...)

Absolutely you cannot determine for yourself if they are skin safe. You may not get a rash from one but that doesn't tell you about 1) sensitization, 2) delayed reactions, 4) subtle reactions which you may not link back to the FO or 5) long term effects.

A vendor really should know this - the information should be provided to them with the FO. I don't understand why she does not.

Besides safety, there are diluent issues with different applications. Basically all FOs have some sort of diluent for a variety of reasons (compounded fragrances are made with some extremely potent chemicals and in order to even measure them out properly at a certain level they need to be diluted, many of these FOs at manufacturing strength are just too strong to be worked with reasonably, and also it's easier for US if the strengths are pretty much standardized so we know that we use them in soap at a certain level, or in lotions at another - but that's a different topic).

Anyway, I was mentioning the diluent because different ones are used for different applications. I forget which is which, but the preferred diluent for candles causes soaps to seize. So even if not for your healths' sake, it can cost you time and $$ in ingredients to use the wrong FO in the wrong application.

:)

A vendor really should know this - the information should be provided to them with the FO. I don't understand why she does not.

Thanks so much CB-I knew you could state this much better than I. Your above statement has also puzzled me. Also companies that are not listing FP info with their FO. We have been driven crazy by the shipping restrictions with FP and I have seen companies that continue to ship everything priority. I must commend them if they have managed to find fragrances that are all over 200 and so have no shipping restrictions applied.

Glo

I do believe Bert bought out a company and these "clearance" scents are from them. And if I remember right she didn't get a whole lot of info with them so she is not able to say if they are skin safe or not....so to err on the safe side she has them listed that way. Maybe she will jump on here and explain that.... I think you will notice on her "normal" line she has listed if they are skin safe or not.