Insurance?

So I thought I'd get a quote for product liability insurance through State Farm since we already use them. I received a quote back for 500,000 coverage at 900 and something a year. That seems kind of high to me, but it may not be. Input?

Guest LightofDawn

I am waiting for a quote right now, I will let you know what it is. I had called another place last summer (I think it was through Auto Owners, but not positive) and they had quoted me about $380/per year.

Daaang... I pay $500/yr for liability thru Safeco and thought I was getting ripped off... I guess it could be even worse. And I always had the impression that State Farm was supposed to be affordable..:confused:

Edit: Duh, My coverage is only 100,000, that would explain the lower price, probably.

So I thought I'd get a quote for product liability insurance through State Farm since we already use them. I received a quote back for 500,000 coverage at 900 and something a year. That seems kind of high to me, but it may not be. Input?

Check the phone book and pick out a couple of Independent Agents, they have alot of companies they go thru and will find you the cheapest. I have been in insurance for over 20 years and make candles on the side. I live in Oklahoma and I paid $500 per yr. for 1 million w/a -0- ded. Be sure and see if there is a ded. sometimes there is and it can be $250 or $500 deductible. I would be sure and get the quote in writing before signing any papers.

I go through the soap guild and they have 1 mil for $485 I think and 2 mil for $535. They cover soap, candles and B&B.

www.soapguild.org

if you don't make soap they have a link there to the indie beauty network and it's the same insurance.

Very easy to sign up and you can read the entire policy there. It covers liability and also covers you at shows. It does not cover your home but as far as I can tell it does cover everything else!

There is a lot of information and suggestions in the Business forum - search it for insurance and you'll find many threads. There was one a few months ago where some recommendations were made for agents, companies, etc. Hope you can find something affordable. :)

I am waiting for a quote right now, I will let you know what it is. I had called another place last summer (I think it was through Auto Owners, but not positive) and they had quoted me about $380/per year.

I am in NC and State Farm would not write a policy for me here. I checked there first because that is where all our insurance is. I went with Auto-owners, about $360.00 a year also.

Guest LightofDawn

Sorry it has taken so long to get back. I just hung up with my insurance agent and she quoted me a price of $324.00/yr. or $27.00/month. :yay: When she called I was in the middle of Wally World and don't remember which company she said that was with. It is either Auto Owners or Ohio Casualty and it was for 1 mil liability.

I am going in Tuesday to sign all the paper work and get it started.

But.... I have a couple of questions. I want to make sure I am getting the proper insurance and coverages etc. Do any of you have any advice on what I should be double checking my policy for? This is the first time that this agency has wrote this type of policy and I don't really want to learn the hard way that there was something missing from my policy.

Thanks

Dawn

I have Ohio Casualty and it's 500 a year for me based upon my sales. I had to give an approximate annual income. I gave my sales a little on the high side (just in case) as there probably is no where near what I'll make this year but even so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I pay like 27/month though after the initial 150 down payment.

Guest LightofDawn

It's official, I now have insurance. I got a 1 mil policy through Auto Owners for $324/yr or $27/month. Yeah!!