Downsizing jar size - the right thing to do?

I have my candles in a Boutique and what is really selling now is my 8 oz containers. My 16 oz don't move as quickly.

I found a really cute 4 oz jar that is adorable and was thinking of carrying them.

My 8 oz is going for $7.95 and my 16 oz is $12.95.

Obviously, I am making $1 per oz on the 8 oz and not for the 16 oz. I can't sell the 16 oz for more. It's a locked in competitor price in my area.

So, my question......

If I carried the 4 oz, I would price that at $4.95 - a little more than $1 per oz. I would be happy with that and with the $1 for the 8 oz.

BUT, the 16 oz would obviously be for a bigger room. I am concerned about this.

My 8 oz candles are strong and do a good job, but obviously the 16 oz would cover more space. Right?

Should I discontinue the 16 oz and go with the other two? Any suggestions would be helpful. I know it's about money - but sometimes it's not, if you know what I mean. I want a good candle, but I want to make money also.

They don't want to carry the three sizes on the shelves that are available, so I'm stuck with only getting two choices. The shop owner said the people that come in are about small gifts and that is what they are interested in.

TIA!

Right now the only size I do is 4 oz. I sell them at 4.25 or 4 for 16.00. It is quite popular because of the price and because people can change scents more often. Mine will scent an area that is about 22x24 and everyone seems to be happy with that. I say give it a shot. Try the higher price and if they don't move, you can lower it. Yank## gets $10.00 for a small candle so yours is still a bargain.

Right now the only size I do is 4 oz. I sell them at 4.25 or 4 for 16.00. It is quite popular because of the price and because people can change scents more often. Mine will scent an area that is about 22x24 and everyone seems to be happy with that. I say give it a shot. Try the higher price and if they don't move, you can lower it. Yank## gets $10.00 for a small candle so yours is still a bargain.

Thanks! Just got off the phone with the shop owner and we have decided to discontinue the 16 oz and put it back if the demand comes up. We will keep/store one 16 oz, of each scent, in the shop for anyone that wants a larger candle.

I just tested Mediterranean Fig (CS) in the 4 oz and it is awesome!!! Does scent up quite a bit of space. Lovely scent!!!

I think it's a go!

Now to order labels and more wicks. lol Always something!!

I sell 5oz and 8oz jars. I thought about doing 16oz jars but the 5oz are just to cute :laugh2:at least that was the response from the girls at the office when i took one in to get opinions.

I know!!! When I got them in last week, I'm like, "Silly cute!"

The girls in the shop think they are adorable!!!! She's leaving it on the counter for attention. :yay:

Would you two candle gurus mind sharing what 4 oz and 5 oz jars you are using? I sell mainly the 8 oz. and 16 oz. square mason jas. My 8 oz. are my bestseller.. I have only 1 large wholesale acct. that ONLY buys my 16 oz. I'm also rethinking "size matters"! LOL:grin2:

Thanks,

Carrie

Would you two candle gurus mind sharing what 4 oz and 5 oz jars you are using? I sell mainly the 8 oz. and 16 oz. square mason jas. My 8 oz. are my bestseller.. I have only 1 large wholesale acct. that ONLY buys my 16 oz. I'm also rethinking "size matters"! LOL:grin2:

Thanks,

Carrie

I'm using the straight sided jars.

I stopped carrying 16 oz. almost 2 years ago. The trend I'm noticing is not many people want to spend more than $10 for a candle. I currently offer a 10 ounce salsa jar and 6 oz tin, and they seem to go well and my customers like to switch up scents, etc. so it works well. I've seen an increase in my melts too.

Keep your pricing in reason, notice what you would spend on impulse purchases and tailor your candle selection to that.

Interesting discussion here, I thought I would put my :2cents: in. We have found here in NEPA. our 16 ounce sells better than our 5 ounce. We also offer a 10 ounce jar, and those sell well too. Seems to us anyway, the only way we can really push our 5 ounce jars is when we offer them as a group...say 4/$20 or so. Just adding my own experiences here.

Interesting discussion here, I thought I would put my :2cents: in. We have found here in NEPA. our 16 ounce sells better than our 5 ounce. We also offer a 10 ounce jar, and those sell well too. Seems to us anyway, the only way we can really push our 5 ounce jars is when we offer them as a group...say 4/$20 or so. Just adding my own experiences here.

Excellent input!! Thanks!

I was going to comment that we do have to find what works in our particular areas of business.

What seems to work in one, doesn't always work in another.

I will have my 16 oz jars on stand-by in the event the finicky customers decide they want them because they are NOT available!

"The grass is always greener........" lol

In my store, I sell more 24 oz candles. They seem to be more popular. I double wick them, so they get their monies worth. I know some people don't like large candles with only one wick, because of the hangup left in the jar.

I sell my 24 oz for $20.99 or 2/$40.00. That price might go up when I purchase my next pallet of soy wax.:cry2:

I haven't been doing as many shows as normally since we are trying to get our house ready to go on the market, but my customers have been buying more of the 26oz jars then anything else. I might add jelly jars in the future, but I want to wait until after we move to test anything new. Candles have a way of taking over our house.

Kim