Question about Soapcalc.com

ebarnes

Im going to start making soaps soon, I stumble on this site a year or so ago. Have you used this site for guidance? How accurate is it? If Im off by a few points will that make a huge difference in my soaps?

Thanks

It's purely a loose guide. Ii don't use it to predict absolutes, but rather enjoy playing with it to see how changes in a known formula may impact the results.

Also, it doesn't take into account lye discount/superfat levels.

The soap calc is great to use as a guidleline especially if you are a newbie. The values it gives you are not set in stone but can give you an idea of what different oils and butters can bring to a soap. Once you've been soaping for awhile, you might find that you like soap that has different numbers than what the soap calc says is acceptable. It is all part of the learning process.

The soap calc is great to use as a guidleline especially if you are a newbie. The values it gives you are not set in stone but can give you an idea of what different oils and butters can bring to a soap. Once you've been soaping for awhile, you might find that you like soap that has different numbers than what the soap calc says is acceptable. It is all part of the learning process.

Thanks a lot, I ask b/c I came up wit ha really good recipe. Some points were 2-3 over, some were 5-10 over ans others were right in line. I did not want to create a soap that would irritate the skin.

I didn't use soapcalc when I first started, because I didn't know how to interpret those numbers. Now that I've studied the site more, I have a better feel for what those numbers are all about. I think the program calculates these numbers based on an aggregate of the numbers for each oil. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) That is, I don't think it takes into account the synergy the particular blend of oils you chose creates. So if some of your numbers are a little outside the range, you may still end up with a good soap, you just have to try it out for yourself to see.