New, with a question

Hi,

I am new here and have a question. I am still trying to gather supplies and learn of course. I am thinking wick pins would be the best way to go for my votives. I've noticed they are not the cheapest little item though. I am also looking for votive molds.

ETA: I also saw something about using a drill press to drill the wick hole, does anyone do this? Opinions?

If ya'll would be so kind to direct me to the best place to get each of these items at a good price & quality of course I would appreciate it!

I hope to one day be able to help someone out and want to thank ya'll for those who help us newbies out! I have already found so much information and ideas it is amazing!

Welcome to CT and the addiction :)

While I do votives, I wouldn't be of much help with prices since I've had mine for a while. One of the biggest determining factors will be where you live though. Supplier A might sell them cheaper but charge a much higher shipping fee than Supplier B. Finding suppliers close to you and comparing shipping charges is a necessity, especially for heavy items.

I do use wick pins and wouldn't have it any other way. The two most common ways are wicking the mold in the beginning or using the pins. I don't like wicking the mold personally. It's hard to keep the wick centered and straight since you can't pull it tight and hold it there while the wax cools. Some wick like zinc are stiffer and may stand up enough on their own, but I'm not comfortable with the looseness and possibility that somewhere inside the wick may have shifted and could be too close to the glass holder.

You won't find many people that use a drill press, not that many people have one at home..lol. Even if you do, it would be tricky. Nope, I haven't tried it, but I have tried drilling wick holes before. It's very slow going and you have to keep backing out and cleaning out the excess wax. It's kinda tacky by nature so it doesn't necessarily just follow the threads up and expel out the top like wood or metal does.

There is an abundant amount of info on the board here, in all the different sections. Kick back, put your feet up and start reading. It wont take long before you see a dozen different things that you just HAVE to try... shortly after that your brain will go into info overload and you'll forget most of what you just read :grin2:

LOVE that screen name, SLM!! Makes me think back on the days when my Moose was running through here with a gang of smelly monkeys!!! Sure wish I had been making candles then...:laugh2:

I love wick pins... they've been berry, berry good to me. Invest in a piece of emory cloth to sand down the WICKED edge of the metal votive cups. Keep bandaids close by just in case...

Read, read, read!! There is so MUCH information in the threads her, it'll make your brain swell!! It gets frustratin' sometimes, but keep on pluggin' and testing and sooner or later, you'll get there! KEEP NOTES on everything you do!! And remember where you PUT the notes!! Have fun!! :grin2:

I personally cannot stand wick pins. They always left odd lips and for some odd reason - the same wax formula, those would come out with a few bubbles here and there.

I am saving up for a drill press but I currently use a dremel with a 4" drill bit. Hubby rigged up a template dealy ma bob to keep it centered for now. Life is sooo much simpler for me.

I personally also think it pours better without the wick pins (if you can get the durned things out), there is some sort of weird leftover that attaches to either the wicks or the pins. I pour them straight in, do my necessary repours, pop out and let sit for about a day (to be absolutely SURE they are cooled in the middle). Drill them, then pop in a wick, touch it for a second on a griddle and put on the warning label. The softer wax from the heat will take the label better.

You can never have too many MinPins!!:yay:

Ummmm... your dogs ate your homework?

Oh sure - then you can blame the disappearance of YOUR notes on THEM while I am stuck dottering around looking like a looneytoon muttering to myself while tearing the house apart... wish I had thought of blaming it on the dawgs...:rolleyes2

:tiptoe: I won't bring up a spouse (still alive, last we heard) who allegedly accidentally threw out someone's treasured notes... :lipsrseal

Best to chain them to your wrist!:laugh2:

I am saving up for a drill press but I currently use a dremel with a 4" drill bit. Hubby rigged up a template dealy ma bob to keep it centered for now. Life is sooo much simpler for me.

That is very interesting! Do you use a special drill bit and what kind of wax do you use? I musta been doing something wrong. Not that THAT is anything unusual...lol :grin2:

Ummmm... your dogs ate your homework?

Oh sure - then you can blame the disappearance of YOUR notes on THEM while I am stuck dottering around looking like a looneytoon muttering to myself while tearing the house apart... wish I had thought of blaming it on the dawgs...:rolleyes2

:tiptoe: I won't bring up a spouse (still alive, last we heard) who allegedly accidentally threw out someone's treasured notes... :lipsrseal

Best to chain them to your wrist!:laugh2:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Yep the dogs ate the notes.....yep thats it!!

The only time I attempted to make votives was way back when and I did the Dixie cup votives....they actually were EASY now that I think about it.:grin2:

tootie

Welcome to CT and the addiction :)

There is an abundant amount of info on the board here, in all the different sections. Kick back, put your feet up and start reading. It wont take long before you see a dozen different things that you just HAVE to try... shortly after that your brain will go into info overload and you'll forget most of what you just read :grin2:

Satin, thanks for the welcome and the advice. You are right, I have not been reading that long and I already see SO many things I want to try, DH is not so sure.

Welcome to the board anyway!!

tootie

Thanks for the welcome.

LOVE that screen name, SLM!! Makes me think back on the days when my Moose was running through here with a gang of smelly monkeys!!! Sure wish I had been making candles then...:laugh2:

I love wick pins... they've been berry, berry good to me. Invest in a piece of emory cloth to sand down the WICKED edge of the metal votive cups. Keep bandaids close by just in case...

Read, read, read!! There is so MUCH information in the threads her, it'll make your brain swell!! It gets frustratin' sometimes, but keep on pluggin' and testing and sooner or later, you'll get there! KEEP NOTES on everything you do!! And remember where you PUT the notes!! Have fun!! :grin2:

Stella, thank you for the warm welcome! I actually planned on using that as my candle/B&B goodies name but not completley sure. I wanted something a little off the wall and not just blah. I am kind of a quirky person so it fits. You guessed where the name came from sorta, it is after my two smelly little "monkeys". I have a 3 year old girl and a two year old boy who consume my days so it kind of fit to include them in some way in this adventure. Let me know if it completley stinks, no pun intended.

I am starting to compile myself a little notebook on tips and tricks and plan to have blank paper in it so I can note what I do so I will know to do it again, or not.

While I was doing research on the net today I ran upon this site. http://wickcenteringtool.com/default.asp?S=E3&Document=Wick+Centering+Tool+Info&NID=4470966

Scroll down to the bottom of it to see the press that they use. What do you think about that?

I use them often for my tops to center, saw their press - but it's rather pricey, even for just the parts. Home Depot is running that size sometimes as low as $50. I'm more wanting now to have a farther travel than just a few inches, just in case. I believe the cheapest, have a travel of only 3". I want something along a 6" travel.

He was awesome about giving out the info, in the end though, it's not worth that particular price.

Welcome! At first, I would wait for the wax to film over and then drop the wicks in, but it was always hard for me to hit the center. Now, I can't praise wick pins enough! They are only 99 cents from Candlescience and shop last you years (just don't steam or clean in boiling water). I wiggle the center stem after pouring to get any air bubbles out. Then, remove from candle after wax completely hardens so that thin ridge along juncture of wax and wick pin falls off neatly. Good luck!