7.5 oz. Libbey cube container, need help wicking

I am using GB 415 - soy, 10% FO and no dye. Diameter is 3 inches. I started with the following wicks and they are not working: 51C, 60C, 62 Zinc (just for the heck of it) HTP 105 and I guess I will move up to HTP1212. Any suggestions are welcome. Before I put this thread on here, I did search this formum and did not come up with anything. I was going to let everyone know that I found these glass containers at Dollar General for $1.00 they are 7.5 oz's and the ones I purchase at Dollar Tree are 12 oz. containers for $1.00. I was really thinking, that they would be pretty easy to wick, so this really surprises me. It took me awhile w/the 12 oz. containers also, I had to double wick them. Thank you everyone in advance. I know if I would not have this board, I would have thrown the towel in along time ago.

• 1 year later...

Trying to revive this post.

First let me say that I can't believe I just discovered this forum. What a great forum. I am loving reading everything I have found. Especially a lot of reviews on different FO. I currently only use about 3 suppliers and have been wanting to try some new ones out!

I recently am just starting the testing phase on these libbey cube containers. I haven't tested the 12 oz yet but am currently doing a first burn on the 7.5 oz cube. I couldn't find much on these when I did a wick search just now.

I am using 6006 and zinc wicks. Using 1.5 ounces/lb of scent with this particular FO. My first test burn was with a 60-44 zinc wick. Two hours into it the scent throw is good and close to a full melt pool with a little hang up on the sides but I think it will eventually catch up on the 2nd or 3rd burn. My biggest problem is that the flame is a little big for my liking (which I kind of expected).

My next step is the 52 zinc wick. Just wondering if it's going to catch the sides in the cube.

Up to this point the zinc wicks have done well for me in this wax in the other 2 containers I use. I do double wick those though.

I guess my question is if anyone else has tried to wick this container with 6006?

It seems like I don't see a lot of people using these and maybe this is why!

I like the container a lot just not sure if it's going to work!

I have tested CD 16, 18 and now am trying 20 as I type. (415 wax) If doesn't work, I am getting in some HTPs to try.

I have used a 62C on 4" cubes in the past. May try those too.

I swear they have changed the 415 wax since I used it before (2004)! LOL!

Trudi

Edited by NaturallyTru

I use 464 and a CD16 wick in this same container (the Libbey #5474). Works great :cheesy2:. I do not double wick. The CD18 appeared to be better at first, but it gets way too hot towards the end.

Edited by Catlover

• 4 weeks later...

Okay now I am confused about this container. Did everyone that responded to this thread use these wicks in the 7.5 oz (smaller cube) like the original poster. Or did some of these mean the larger 12 oz cube?

The only reason I ask is that I have been testing this for a couple of weeks now and am finding that I am needing a smaller wick than you guys.

I use 6006 with an extra 15 % soy. I realize that soy will burn differently than what I use. Just curious if it makes that much of a difference. I only ask because I don't work with 100% soy so I don't know.

I am testing it with NG butt naked and I thought the cd 10 was the wick for this fragrance as it seemed to be the best but it gets pretty hot towards the bottom with a pretty big flame. I just poured some more tonight with cd 8 to see if that would be better.

Well when I tested the CD's, the 18 and the 20 tunneled badly. 20 did pretty well on first burn; but second it just tunneled and tunneled, no catch up. I did not add any dye or scent...just straight 415 for the test.

I have gotten samples of 62C, HTP 104 and HTP105; but haven't tested them yet.

Trudi

I find it interesting. I know this is why we all have to test our own containers with our wax, wicks, fo and so forth.

I am finding that so far the 7.5 oz cube the cd 10 works well on most of them. With NG butt naked it gets pretty hot at the bottom though. With BC olive blossom it seems to be doing well so far but haven't burned it all the way down yet. DS forbidden pomegranate is leaving a little wax hang up on the side sitll on the 3rd burn so I'll probably end up bumping this up to a CD 12. I will burn it more though just to make sure. CS rainwater is confusing me. I thought it might be doing okay and better than my original tester but the flame is prety low and I am afraid it's going to dye out. After 2 hours I have a nice circular melt though. Definitely no full melt pool yet. Which I don't want yet either. I'll be interested to see how this one does. I may end up bumping this up to a cd 12.

The 14 oz cube is it's own monster. I haven't burned any of those all the way down yet. A couple of the fragrances seem to be doing pretty good with a cd16. Some not as well. I don't like the big cd's as much due to sooting so I may try to double wick this one even though it's not my first choice. I tried two cd 8's and it was too hot. I poured two cd 6's to see what that does.

I'll keep testing and let you know what I find. Just curious what everyone else was finding with these containers even though I know all our variables are different.

Edited by aviator girl

This little cube is going to be the end of me.:pI tested the butt naked almost all the way down with the cd 10. I am at the last 1/4 of the jar and it has about an inch of wax in it. The last hour I burned it the side of the jar is getting a fair amount of black soot. I really don't think it's overwicked as it always leaves a little hang up in the corners but is continuing to burn down. My next plan of attack is to try some different wicks. I am going to see if JBN ever got the CDN's back in and I'll most likely try a couple other types as well. I am test burning another FO in this same container with a cd 10 as well just to see if it does the same thing. I'll burn that one over the weekend. I am not used to seeing soot like this on my containers so I don't like this at all.:angry2: