soft soywax

:pHi I am new to candle making and in the past have always bought the expensive soy candles. I love the way the wax is when it is really soft. A type of wax that you could actually easily dig your finger into (but not that you would want to, I just like it). and I mean soft when the candle has not been lit. I love the way this certain company makes it's soy candles. They use a soy/vegetable blend wax is all it says on the box. Does anyone know how I can get a soy wax to have this consistency. It burns very evenly all the way across and has an awesome scent throw. I went to a gift shop the other day and it seems all the soy candles that are high end and in 8 oz containers and cost over $22.00 have this squishy -like soy wax base. I want that.. I am guessing that I have to maybe mix in some coconut or olive oil? is this correct?.

Another question: I myself have the naturewax C3 and 2 recommended wick sizes for a 3 inch diameter container and so far I am not getting an even all the way across burn. Do I need a larger wick.? I know there are a lot of variables but if there is a general answer for this I'd be grateful for any replies..

Thanks so much!

Rhonda

Thanks for your advice. I did just order an eco kit that has a few different wick sizes, I am sure it has size 10.

The soy (c3) is soft but I want softer. But still remaining vegetable based.

Anyone else know how I can soften an already soft soy wax? I am going to experiment but if anyone knows it would save me time and money..

i guess you can just check the meltpoints of the different soy waxes on the suppliers sites. Your in CA right? Your pick of suppliers out west here SUCKS to say the least.

i know the GB 444 and 464 are pretty soft waxes with low melt points.

tootie

Thanks Tootie.. your right they probably aren't 100% soy although my favorite candle says on their site that they use their own special blend of vege waxes and I assume that means no parafin, is that a correct assumption. Paraffin isn't considered a vege source I guess, right?

I ordered some 464 from CS and will try that and compare it to the c3 I have.

Thanks again!

Rhonda

believe C3 is a soy wax :confused:

No. NatureWax C3 is a "premuim vegetable candle wax." It allegedly contains mostly soy wax and some smaller percentage of other vegetable oils. Who knows how much or what - they do not say... That is why it is not as soft as waxes made with only soy oil. That is also why it has a higher melt point and doesn't frost as badly nor take warm weather and shipping as badly as the "100%" soys. ;)

Swan's carries soy, coconut and other veggie waxes and is located out west - wish they were closer to us here because I would like to try some of their products.

There is a tradeoff when making candles. It is entirely possible that the soft "soy" candles were not all-veggie wax, but a parasoy blend, as previously mentioned. There is no regulation about how much soy has to be in a candle to call it a "soy wax candle." This comes under "hype" and is something to be aware of when working with veggie waxes. Soy-based waxes are not more "pure", organic, "vegan" or "all-natural" - that is hogwash and BS of the highest order. They are simply soy-based waxes.

For a 3" diameter C3 candle, I would start with a CDN 12. Good luck! :)

Thanks Stella.. actually they don't call it a soy candle they say a vegetable blend of waxes. I may give up on looking for the softer stuff.. I've bought 50lbs of the C3 and have the 464 (10lbs) coming. I don't have enough friends to give away all my testers.:rolleyes2 I know I can remelt, but some of it has frosting so I guess I don't want to reuse that. since I think it's from the fragrance oil.

Where would I get the CDN wicks? I'll try those next. :rolleyes2

Thanks again,

Rhonda

I know I can remelt, but some of it has frosting so I guess I don't want to reuse that. since I think it's from the fragrance oil.
Rhonda, frosting is the result of wax that is changing from one crystal type to another. You can reheat, retemper and repour, particularly for personal use or testing purposes. I have some FOs that frost worse than others (am slowly eliminating them from my lineup), but much frosting is not so much the FO as it is how the wax was handled during melting/pouring... or the dye/amount.

JBN carries CDNs.

Keeping working with it - keep good notes on everything you are doing, temps, times, etc. and after a while, you'll get a method down that pleases you and give you consistently good results. Hope you are havin' fun! :yay:

Thanks so much for all your advice. I am going to have a lot of fun testing and retesting and trying different things.. I refuse to let it frustrate me that's for sure. I'm so happy to have found this forum for help.. You guys are wonderful..thank you for being here. :yay:

Rhonda

I think you'll like the 464- it's the softest, lowest mp soy/veg wax out there. It's also easy to burn- lower wicking for bigger containers. That makes a huge difference in cold houses in the wintertime.

I'm agreeing that the squishy soft wax sounds like a parasoy blend. 464 does harden, and you could dig around in it easily if you wanted to- but I wouldn't call it squishy soft either. Just be warned that you'll need to use several sizes smaller wicking than with C3!!!

-Kristi

There's also a wax KY that has a low MP (115) and it's called Soy115 (go figure).

It's really soft wax!

GF402 has a 115-120 melt point. I used it in the old days but it never looked good always had a great throw but looked like crap. But I don't think I ever poured cool back then.

What's KY.. the name so I can look it up.

I think I found a nice soft one at Swan's but I'll see for sure when it arrives. I figure I'll find my favorite wax first and then find the right wick for it in the three different container sizes I have.

Thanks again for your recommendations guys..

Rhonda

KYcandlesupply.com I think....You are in CA so I can pretty much guarentee your shipping will be WAY to high. That is why I dont use it anymore.

Peaks

Let it shine

swans

genwax

candlesoylutions

are the ones off the top of my head that are out west here.

tootie