Storing 50/50 Lye Solution

Dana Mae

I use a 33% solution. Mine is stored in a gallon Sterlite pitcher. Some people use the large detergent dispensers with spigots.

Yes I was just reading on another forum that it needs to be in HDPE (or something like that) with a tight fitting cap.

Not sure what that is, but I'm sure my Sterlite pitcher doesn't qualify.

Can anyone explain this better? I am assuming the tight fitting lid would be to prevent evaporation, which would not be good.

I guess a gallon milk jug would not be heavy enough to store the cooled solution? :(

Help please :(

Thanks

dana

So the lid on your pitcher is tight enough to discourage any evaporation?

The tight-fitting lid is for the opposite reason. It prevents the lye solution from attracting moisture from the air and becoming more dilute.

HDPE is high density polyethylene. You can also use polypropylene or any type of plastic container that doesn't interact with the lye. I haven't looked up Sterlite to find out what it is, but if the lye isn't affecting it I'm sure it's fine.

The tight-fitting lid is for the opposite reason. It prevents the lye solution from attracting moisture from the air and becoming more dilute.

HDPE is high density polyethylene. You can also use polypropylene or any type of plastic container that doesn't interact with the lye. I haven't looked up Sterlite to find out what it is, but if the lye isn't affecting it I'm sure it's fine.

Thanks for the clarification and explanation Top!

I will make sure I find the proper container. Mine is OK for mixing I think but I'm not sure about long-term storage.

Thanks,

Dana

What is it, jbren? What is the comment ":lipsrseal" supposed to mean?

On the dish, where I mistakenly posted, you just made an emoticon with "nevermind". Why would you do that ?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say that might be helpful here?

I'm learning a lot from the questions I ask, maybe other people who read here might learn from them too.

Perhaps too, I am misreading your "comments".

I'd like to think so.

dana