Anyone use plexiglass molds? And bar size?

donna4909

I need new molds! I'm tired of my soap sticking to my "linerless" plastic molds even when I spray them, and I don't want to spend a lot on silicone liners. I've heard that soap doesn't stick to plexiglass. Does anyone know if that's true?

I think I want a slab mold with dividers, because logs just don't swirl as well. Probably 12 bars, but I'm unsure on the bar size. I was kinda thinking of square bars. Would 3" x 3" x 1" be a weird size?

Soap Hutch sells these, you have to email for a quote.

You can get any size you wish. I believe Scented and Soapbuddy both own these molds. One of them is bound to chime in.

My TOG mold has Lexan [plexiglass] dividers, the soap does not stick if you leave it in the mold for 24 plus hours. I'm thinking of getting some at Lowe's and lining all my molds. I will alert you that plexiglass molds, especially custom made, are pricey. More expensive than silicone lined.

Hubby volunteered to make the plexiglass mold for me. :grin2:

So, any ideas about the 3 x 3 square bars in the slab mold?

I think I might try to get him to make a 1.5" x 1.5" x 3" bar in an upright too. I saw some japanese soaps of this size, and they are really beautiful when layered.

japanese_soap.jpg

Soap will not readily stick to Plexiglass which another name for it is Lexan. I used to use Lexan, but it was too expensive for liners and dividers. I now use HDPE for my TOG Permaliner System and dividers. It is less expensive and releases well. HDPE is impervious to chemicals, and slick. I really like using HDPE along with premium wood for soap molds!

TOG1224SlabHDPEAll003.jpg

• 2 years later...
Hubby volunteered to make the plexiglass mold for me. :grin2:

So, any ideas about the 3 x 3 square bars in the slab mold?

I think I might try to get him to make a 1.5" x 1.5" x 3" bar in an upright too. I saw some japanese soaps of this size, and they are really beautiful when layered.

japanese_soap.jpg

That is one of the most gorgeous pieces of soap I've ever seen. Where can I find/buy it?