First Votives...is this normal??

I posted this in the general discussion, but was told I should post it here because of the wax I use.

I just got through pouring my first votives; however, after about two hours of cooling, some have started to crack around the center right where it starts to dip.

I haven't yet done the repour, but wanted to see if this part of the process was normal :confused:

If not, how can I correct it?

I used KY Parasoy Tart/Votive Wax, 9% FO, no dye, heated to 180, and poured at 175.

post-7385-139458446501_thumb.gif

Interesting!

I've never had it sink like that before, but recently did have one spider a little. I popped a few in the freezer because they wouldn't release from the votive mold, but it was only 1 votive, not all of them. I think it was because it was too close to the freezer fan itself.

Nothing a heat gun couldn't handle.

Should I heat gun the cracked ones before doing my repour? It looks like it's cracked a pretty good ways down. I'm thinking if I don't, I'll end up with a votive that looks like a flat head nail when I take it out of the mold. :laugh2:

It's a possibility.

Why anytime happens when you pour is up to the stars. :laugh2: You are working with a material that sometimes does whatever it wants to do.

New molds can do that I suppose. You can get weird results too if there are thin layers of wax left in the molds.

If it's just one, try a heat gun, if its the whole batch (not sure how many you made), perhaps remelt and try again.

Also try heating your molds alittle before pouring.

I've had that happen with the Millcreek pillar/votive wax (palm/coconut blend). I pour it at around 155, and it cracks right there in the middle just about every blessed time. Makes great tarts, but sucks rocks for votives. I use GL 1285 now (parasoy blend), and pour it at 195, and it works like a charm. It sinks a bit in the middle and I do a repour, but no cracks or bubbles or anything like that. I think it depends on whether the day ends in Y and what phase the moon is in and whether or not the candle fairies are in a good mood or a mischievous one that day. LOL

I think it depends on whether the day ends in Y and what phase the moon is in and whether or not the candle fairies are in a good mood or a mischievous one that day. LOL

:laugh2: :laugh2: Amen to that!!!

Well, Vickey over at KY said to try pouring cooler next time :confused: I guess I'll try it, but anything I've read on votives refers to pouring at a higher temp, not lower.

Anyway, I'll try to pour some tomorrow and see how it goes.

In my experience parasoy has thrown me those circle cracks too. The lower temp helps but a repour has always been necessary to make them look they way I want them to.

I have tried the heat gun and then repour and just repour and the results have been the same so I skip the heat gun. Heat gun alone has never been enough on a votive for me unless you like little shrunken votives that look like they didn't get filled enough.

Good luck!

Well, all but one came out nicely after the repour. :)

I'll be pouring some later this evening....gonna try it cooler to see how it goes.

They're such cute little fellas! :grin2: I sorta did things backwards...I started with containers first, then decided to do votives. Guess it makes these seem a bit easier....

I use a parasoy blend also and always pour hot. I wait about 1-1/2 hours, poke it with a chopstick and do my repour. Cooling a bit fast will sometimes cause the cracks you experienced and occasionally those cracks may be air pockets. New molds/old molds have nothing to do with it, it's the nature of a parasoy cooling quickly. :cool2:

I use Ecosoya PB for my votives and I do my initial pour at 155, if I get a crack like that in the middle I just poke relief pours around and do a second pour 10 degrees hotter and usually never have a problem with the burn plus my tops turn out perfect as well.