Any additional tips for summer outdoor shows

I know we have a tips for craft fairs link which is very helpful and has helped me tremendously. My main concern is having information in one area that gives tips for outdoor summer shows. I have searched several boards and have come up with this. If you have more please contribute.

• Purchase small magnetic battery operated fans to affix to the top of your tent.
  • Put a piece of carpet of some sort on the concrete to help reduce the heat from rising from the ground.
  • Put a tarp on your tent’s roof to help the sun reflect off of your tent (I hope this makes sense)
  • Rotate products away from the sun
  • If selling shea butter, keep in a cooler with ice packs that are covered with a towel to prevent labels from getting wet.
  • Keep an empty labeled bottle/jar out for display for products that are kept in the cooler
  • Dress coolly, but professionally.
  • Have plenty of water in an cooler of ice
  • Bring face cloths to wipe sweaty skin

Summer shows - bring bug spray if you are a mosquito magnet.

If you have access to electricity, bring a fan or two. We actually have a portable heater/AC unit that is about the size of carry on suitcase. With 3 sides of the tent down and that unit in the back blowing forward, our tent is pretty cool.

I really hate summer shows and pretty much avoid them. I prefer a summer vacation for June-July-Aug.

OK, so I am doing my first outdoor show Saturday. It's suppose to be 91 degrees outside. so now I know I need a cooler for the items with shea butter, but what about my soy wax candles. Are they going to get really soft if I don't have them in a cooler. Thanks for all those other tips by the way. I didn't think of half that stuff.

It was 80 last weekend in NC, and my candles started to get a little soft. I place battery operated fans (Walmart) in the top of the canopy and on the tables to help keep the air circulating, as well as keep moving the candles that show the most heat issues to under the table. I find that as long as I keep the candles out of the sun, I do ok. An interesting note - I put a sample of each scent on the table, and leave the rest of my inventory in individual boxes on the same table - only the candles out of the boxes ever have issues. I hope I explained that so you can picture it.

• 2 months later...

I've been doing a market on Saturdays and some have been brutal. I've yet to find battery operated fans. I make use of my sidewalls to the tent as well as the awning for the sunny sides. On a bad note, the side wall acts like a sail in a heavy breeze.

Bring a cooler for sure and I always have a roll of paper towels, because stuff happens, you never know!

e

Guest jurnalynn
I've been doing a market on Saturdays and some have been brutal. I've yet to find battery operated fans. I make use of my sidewalls to the tent as well as the awning for the sunny sides. On a bad note, the side wall acts like a sail in a heavy breeze.

Bring a cooler for sure and I always have a roll of paper towels, because stuff happens, you never know!

e

i bought my fans at walmart in the camping section i have a fan that attaches to the top of my tent and a regular one for the ground both batery operated

Laura

ok, I had everything - except weights (for those strong winds)& industrial floor mats w/ the holes (incase we're over or near storm drains - thank God we had plastic totes because my area was very wet indeed)....

we had power (most of the time until they turned it off because of the thunderstorms)....