What would you do?

awickedscent

:waiting: I had a lady that owns a candle store and asked for a sample. I sent her one along with wholesale pricing information. She sends an email saying that she likes the candles and that she was going to place an order. I didnt hear from here. She then calls on Monday of this week and places an order. But not the same line of the sample I sent her. I spoke to her and said that I needed to have the wholesale sheet filled out with her signature on it. She said that she would get it to me and asked if she could pay by COD. I said that we would rather have a check mailed to us. I also told her that all candles are made to order. So I filled her order and in the meantime waiting for her wholesale sheet. I called her yesterday and asked her about it and she said that she wanted the candles by this Fri. and to cancel the order. The order was ready to ship out yesterday and is only two day shipping in CA. So she would have had it by Fri. What do you think I should do? The wholesale order was for a couple hundred. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oh my I definitly wouldn't send anything with out the $$. I agree with Fire.. You could ask if she had paypal. I know that the order is a couple of hundred dollars but I believe that there has been people on this board that have been in the same situation and sent the order and never got paid!

If she agrees you can send the order COD for the entire amount, of course that still doesn't mean her check would be good. If she seriously wanted the order she would of sent you a check. I had a lady order from me and wanted it sent COD for the entire order, i sent it and she refused the shipment which meant i was out shipping both ways. Thats the last time I will ship COD, she was the bad apple that ruined it for everyone.

If she won't buy the order now, maybe you can find another retailer who is interested in taking the same order. Or you could try to sell the whole order on Ebay at wholesale cost. Then you wouldn't be stuck with all that backstock. Not that this is the worst time of year to have extra inventory...

It was smart of you not to offer her COD.

I don't know what kind of game this lady is playing with you. First of all, I'd like to find out who her other suppliers are. Who ever heard of a shop that places an order on Monday and thinks their supplier will have it to them by Friday of the same week, especially with custom orders. It doesn't happen-- especially around this time of year! Most of my suppliers take at least 7 - 10 days, some even longer--and those are companies that sell mass produced items world wide.

Another thing, most companies require a first time order be paid by credit card only. It is practically unheard of to find a company that will ship a first time order COD.

If she needed them by Friday, you should have offered to ship them overnight, at her expense. I bet she would have decided she didn't need them so urgently afterall.

This might be a lost cause, but at least you've learned how to protect yourself in the future:

*Production will not be started until the wholesale order form is signed and returned.

*If a certain delivery date is needed, it must be requested in writing prior to production (you could use your wholesale sheet for this.)

*Orders are paid for up front by credit card or check (only if you do not accept credit cards). Another option is to at least get 1/2 up front prior to starting production.

*No orders will be shipped COD

*Rush orders will incur an additional charge.