Using Wax Scraps for Campers Candle

With summer coming up, I thought I'd share an old idea, buddy burners, for using wax scraps and taking a little bit of your candlemaking pleasure on trips. Throughout the year, I save all my wax discards, such as old end stubs, excess from the pour pots, and flop and test candles, in one pot.

First, get an empty tuna can and cut the top off. Coil a long strip of cardboard, about an inch and a half in width (slightly wider than the height of the tuna can) and put in can. Then, melt and pour the scrap wax to a height slightly below top of can. When the wax begins to set up, I put a "U-shaped" extra piece of wick in the top to use as a starter, as when the wax liquifies the cardboard will be your wick. As the wax burns down, I add backup wax pellets (created using an ice cube tray)to the can to keep it going for many hours.

Disclaimer: Please be cautioned that the tuna can gets hot, the flame is high (6" or so), and sometimes, an overeager pellet-feeder will put wax in too early and it bubbles out of the can leaving wax on the surface. Also, respect our Parks and don't use on plastic/ composite tables at campsite; concrete tables are best and wood is so-so. Put it (or several) in the fire pit in place of a campfire when a traditional wood fire isn't possible.

Hope this might interest someone, some camper out there, as I for one never discard any wax and eat the tunafish just to get the can! They have become a welcome addition to our camping trips and my way of taking my candlemaking with me!

We just made 3 of those at a camping training for our girlscout troop. I didnt use the cardboard but used wood shavings, that worked really well also!

Just remember to leave a bit of the cardboard or wood shavings showing so the fire can catch nicely. Dont over load with wax or the burner will go out a lot.

Yep those things get really hot but you sure can cook on them!!! we fried ham slices and toasted buttered bread on them, I was impressed.

I keep one large pot for leftover wax that everything goes into, then I get free sawdust from my local lumber yard.......I mix it with the leftover wax (melted) and scoop into paper baking cups. Sometimes I will top with tiny pinecones or other potpourri for looks. We take them camping and everyone around there practically begs for a couple. Light the paper of the baking cup, and even damp wood will catch and start your campfire. It's so easy, and the cost is practically nothing except the baking cups since it's all leftover wax that would be pitched anyway!

Yeah I love making these too. My hubby does some wood working, so any small pieces of wood that he's going to throw out, I use a big drill bit and drill holes all through the wood and collect all the wood chips for my fire starters. In a half hour, I can get a 2 quart container full of chips. I also use the baking cups. Through the years I have bought so many candles, I would burn about half and if it didn't give off a good scent, I would stop using it.

I mean really, what is the point? Don't we all want a great smelling candle. So that is what use for my fire starters. Beats throwing the wax out. I'm a penny pincher, I hate to waste anything. Just call me El Cheapo

Sandy