Tealight questions again?

I read the posts about tealights and have gathered that I can use my container wax for tealights. I want to use the plastic instead of metal.

How many of you use plastic or metal?

Also, I read that some stick the wick in after it has started to cool. One person said tacky was or glue or something. I want to know what is the best way to go for someone just learning. I thought these would be good to make with leftover amounts of wax when I am pouring my containers. I also have had a few requests for them.

Thanks

Amy

I dont actually make the tealights yet, but that is one of my future endeavors. I would probably do the tealight wicks like my containers and just hot glue em in. By doin it that way I can make sure that everything is centered prior to pouring. Of course that is my preference, and someone else may find their way easier. Try a few different ways to see which you like better then just roll with it.... that is my best advise :grin2:

Hi, I only use the clear tealight cups. I don't glue or tack the wicks down. I pour the wax and wait to see a slight bit of cooling film on top and then put the wick in. The slight film from the top sticks to the wick tab and holds it in place.

Chris

however, I'm far from being an expert or doing things the right way! :tongue2:

So the wicks don't slide, I use a glue gun and put a dab of high melt glue (purchased at Home Depot) on the tab and then press it down with a toothpick. Since I only make plain tealights that I want to last a fairly long time, I use pillar wax. I have used votive and container wax for scented ones though.

I also use clear cups and don't use anything to hold them in place. If you notice, the clear cups have a small round indentation on the bottom, the 15mm tab fits in it perfect, which keeps the wick in place. I've never had a wick drift to the side on me. I use a tealight mold from Candlewic to pour my tealights in so it makes the job VERY easy. Before I had the mold I would have to babysit my wicks to keep them upright in the hot wax if I poured to hot, what a PITA.

I have not made tealights (yet) but would like to in the future. I plan on making both, plastic cups and metal cups. The plastic cups are good for glass candle holders because you can see the flame better. I need metal cups for any of my holiday candle holders, like my ceramic gingerbread house or ceramic pumpkin. If I put a tealight with a plastic cup, the cup will melt because it gets too hot inside the ceramic. Just a thought.:)

Paula

Good point Paula, the little houses, etc. do need the metal tealights so the plastic doesn't melt. I just buy a bag of cheapo ones from Walmart for those instead of making them, probably cheaper in the long run, plus it saves me time.