Question about Mylar / Lexan

patka

For those of you who use Mylar to like your soap molds, is there a place online or local (I don't think I have Joann Fabric nearby) to purchase them? I searched, but I only found 8.5 x 11 sheets and that seems a bit small. Are there larger size sheets or a roll perhaps available?

Also, I read on this forum that some use Lexan molds, can Lexan be used to line mold? Can it be in direct contact with the soap?

Thank you in advance for any ideas. I am looking for some permanent or long lasting way to line mold not to waste freezer paper.

I know I bought mine from JoAnn online about 2 years ago. I am looking for the link right now.

I found some, but it is the 8.5x11 size, which isn't big enough for most molds. The fun foam works, if you can find the big size. I like the mylar because it is a bit more sturdy and easier to clean than the fun foam.

Steph

I know I bought mine from JoAnn online about 2 years ago. I am looking for the link right now.

I found some, but it is the 8.5x11 size, which isn't big enough for most molds. The fun foam works, if you can find the big size. I like the mylar because it is a bit more sturdy and easier to clean than the fun foam.

Steph

Steph, I agree, 8.5x11 would be too small for most molds. I am hoping someone will know where to get a bigger sheet or perhaps even a roll.

Don't know about the mylar, but yes lexan can be used to line a mold. Just make sure it is Lexan not just any plexiglass. Lexan is heat and chemical resistant. Works very nice for liner and dividers.

Ida, thank you, I will go to Home Depot to see if they have any Lexan sheets that could perhaps be used. I am still looking for the Mylar sheets as well, but the ones I found so far were too small.

Patka, check hobbylobby.com before you go to see if they have a coupon you can print out for a discount. They usually do.

Top, the no-melt definitely makes a difference. I bought some other stuff once (great deal, I thought -- half the price of the no-melt), and it warped the first time I used it.

Top, the no-melt definitely makes a difference. I bought some other stuff once (great deal, I thought -- half the price of the no-melt), and it warped the first time I used it.

Thank you, that's a great tip. I hate measuring and cutting Mylar, so I only want to do it once!