Wicking Advice Please - IGI Container Paraffin Waxes

Hi there...

I'm hoping someone with a bit more knowledge of IGI waxes might be able to shove me in the right direction...

I'm in the UK but I've just inherited a full box of IGI 4627 and and unidentifiable (no label) box of another VERY soft slabbed wax which has a paraffin feel to it...

Both boxes came from Candle Science... I'm hoping they might be able to shed some light on the unknown wax but I'm still waiting on a reply...

I doubt I'll be able to replace these waxes but the idea of just slinging close on 100lb of wax to one side as unusable brings me out in a cold sweat...lol

They both feel an awful lot softer than the regular container paraffin wax that I'm used to using from within the UK...

I've had some 15oz Honey Jars from the Jar Store and would like to have an idea of what wicks someone more experienced with IGI waxes might suggest for this combination...

I have Eco and LX wicks and am waiting on a supply of CDs and some CSNs... A few starting points for me to then test around would be very helpful indeed...

Thank you x

Hard to tell without some kind of label but, could it be the 4630 which is comfort blend in slab form.

Candle Science used to carry 1288b which was a straight paraffin that mottled. It has a low melt point, but I can break it with a hammer it isn't all that soft.

HTH,

Karen B

Thank you Karen...

These waxes were purchased around 18mths ago I think... The gentleman who bought them has died and his widow gave me most of his stock as she knew we'd chatted a lot when he was alive...

A third box has also come to light which he labeled himself and has stuck a CS Mottling Container Blend label on it... I'm presuming that means it's a Candle Science wax again but I don't see a mottling option for containers on their site... But this would have been a good while ago so perhaps it's one that's gone out of stock now... That's also in slabs but crumbs - they're darn hard for a container wax... Bar for the label I would have presumed it to be a pillar blend... There's about 50lb of that stuff too...

The unknown wax is ever so soft - you can squidge it between your fingers and it's not that warm here... But it's not quite as soft as the tubs labeled as 4627 - that's amazingly soft... My regular UK container blend has a greasy feel to it but is absolutely no where near as squidgy as either of these waxes...

The mottling wax would be good to have a play with - but I don't want to waste the 4627 (comfort blend - 2 tubs to a box) or this other unknown container wax if I can actually use the wax to make nice containers... Buying in more container wax when I have 100lb at my finger tips doing nothing would be a crying shame...lol

The unknown wax is ever so soft - you can squidge it between your fingers and it's not that warm here... But it's not quite as soft as the tubs labeled as 4627 - that's amazingly soft...

Sounds just like the IGI4630 we use for containers.

Thank you all...

I've poured one in the 15oz Honey Pot for now... Unwicked - with a rod so I can drop a wick in for testing...

Taken colour from a colour block beautifully... Added FO at 6% just to be on the safe side as I don't know what it should hold - and to say it's bumping as it's hardening is an understatement...lol

Any suggestions for an initial wick? I was wondering whether to go with an Eco 10 and see how it goes from there...

Also, if there are any suggestions for a more suitable FO level then I'm all ears...

Thank you x

according to candle science and the technical documentation for the waxes

4627 - 12%fo

4630 - 10% fo

I've used 8% in the 4630 and got some killer throw. Depends on the FO, the very vanillia i use 7.5% love spell i use 10%

I use double wicked HTP52 for my 8oz apathecary jar for the lighter Fos and HTP62 for med to heavier FO, but that's just my testing...i've had a to up to 62 for one light FO because it kept drowning out.

Test test test is the best advice. Good luck

Candle Science used to carry 2 kinds of container waxes that wasn't a "preblend".

IGI-1288b was the guaranteed to mottle straight paraffin wax.

IGI-2281 was another wax that was a straight paraffin but not guaranteed to mottle like the 1288b. Side by side I thought the 1288b had a nicer mottle appearance to it. When it came to wicking I didn't notice a huge difference between the two. But they are both straight paraffins so it depends on what you add to the table.

They are both very hard and by appearance could be mistaken for a pillar wax. I could break either one with a hammer no problem.

It seems both of these waxes are no longer available from Candle Science but I do have a receipt as proof they had them at one time. (2006)

I love using superior wicks, so I'm really kind of useless. Of your choices I'd probably start with the lx and check the CD's too.

hth,

Karen B

Thank you Karen...

By the sounds of it this other mystery box of 'Mottling Container Blend' might be the 1288b you refer to as the order for it would have definitely been placed in excess of a year ago I would have thought... 2006 is probably a good timeline...

I would definitely have presumed it to be a pillar wax given how hard it is - so glad you have pointed me in the right direction in that...

The mystery (possible 4630) squidgy container wax set up beautifully and I popped an Eco 10 in and whipped it out in ten minutes as it was smoking like a tyre on fire from the off...

Replaced it with an Eco 8 and for two hours it's burned to perfection - flame just floating over the MP and not moving... MP gradually increasing at a nice rate... Getting me all excited I might be in the ball park... Now, 2 1/2hrs in it's starting the odd bobbing around and sending up a little plume of smoke... In between doing the shuffle it's still burning perfectly... Grrrrr

Thanks for the heads up Coconut - seems to be exactly what's happening...

Not sure if an Eco 6 would be meaty enough for the diameter of the 15oz honey jar...

Back to the drawing board methinks...lol I don't like LX's particularly in containers as they have a habit of falling over for me - so it'll be CD's next if this Eco 8 carries on with it's intermittent bobbing/smoking routine...

IGI4630 does tend to smoke, but we have been very sucessful with the LX's. I am not sure about your jar, but if it helps, we double-wick with LX10;s in our 10 oz apothecary for MOST of our FO's - sometimes having to wick up or down.

We have had a few FO's that we just can't seem to get wicked correctly, so we continue to test those.

Occasionally, we will test one and it will end up with "black eyes" - complete black in the wax around the wicks. We have yet to have someone be able to explain what may be causing this. I am going to be testing one that we cut the percentage of FO down to see if maybe the wick is clogging.

I use Comfort Blend and have had great success with the LX's and the Eco's. It just depends on how big of a diameter I'm looking at. It seems the bigger the diameter, the more Eco's I use. I use the LX's for the smaller diameter.

I'm not familiar with the honey pot container, but I use an Eco 10 for a 4 inch diameter. Not sure if that helps at all.

Shari

You're welcome, Ann Marie. In my small containers and the oxygen rich environment of Florida, even the smallest ECO wick is too big. Smokes like crazy. I have had generally good luck with 4630 using LX wicks for some scents, HTP wicks for other scents, and Peak's cotton wicks also. I generally use LX 8 or 10 and HTP 52. I use 4 oz tapered jelly jars. I find that some scents just can't be wicked in this wax because of the low melt point. I get a great melt pool but a tiny flame. You possibly can wick down more because even if you have 1/8 to 1/4 inch of unmelted wax, it will usually catch up later. The HTP wicks tend to have a hotter flame in the bottom of the jar on some scents. If you don't want to wick down, try cutting back a little on the FO. 4630 has terrific throw for most scents so you will still get good scent. Good luck!

coconut, i've had to wick up to HTP 62s on a couple of scents for the bottom of the jar. Great throw and melt pool starting, but by the bottom i had a 1/4 inch wall on one side and tiny plame

using an 8oz apathecary jar that is 4 inches diameter.

Thank you all for your input...

I was hoping that I might be able to wick this with one wick - can't say I'm a card carrying lover of double wicking - but if that's the only option that I find works then I'll go with that...

The honey pot jar from the jar store has a diameter of 3 and 7/8" although it it slightly shaped and tapers inwards slightly towards the base... Nice looking container and I managed to get my paws on a good batch of them so I'd like to get the combo working if possible...

The scent throw on this wax only using FO at 6% is great... I *think* 6% roughly equates to around the 1oz pp mark - I just prefer to work in grams for the wax and then grams for the oils - keeping it simple for my little brain...;-)

The Eco 8 does seem to have potential - but any longer than the tiniest nub of wick and it's doing the dance and smoking... I can't see my customers trimming their wicks that short to be honest so I think I'll definitely look at the LX as many of you seem to be having success with those...

Jane - I'm not sure if I've had the same 'black eye' problem - it's not so much 'black' but when it finished a second burn there was a definite discolouration in melt pool as it set up... The candle is in pink (having a pink n' fluffy phase right now...lol) and the reformed MP had a definite grey tinge to it...

Definitely an amazing scent throw with this wax though... I'll give it that one... :grin2:

coconut, i've had to wick up to HTP 62s on a couple of scents for the bottom of the jar. Great throw and melt pool starting, but by the bottom i had a 1/4 inch wall on one side and tiny plame

using an 8oz apathecary jar that is 4 inches diameter.

Hi Aaron. The apothacary jar is straight sided so that would burn differently than the jelly jar that I use which is wider at the top than at the bottom. I've learned the hard way to wick for the bottom of the jar. Sure is tricky. I'll keep this in mind in case I test a straight sided jar in the future. Coconut

Thank you for your input everyone...

Candle Science have been exceptionally helpful and managed to track down my friend's order...

This mystery, soft and squidgy container wax that I'm currently trying to beat into submission is in fact, Astorlite J50...

The mottling wax is, as Karen guessed, a container blend that has similar properties to the IGI1288b...

So now I need to scout around looking for info on the J50...lol

LX22 bit the dust as it smoked very quickly too - and the CS wick guide recommends an Eco12 for this wax in this size container - the Eco8 was doing a jig and smoking after a few hours so I think it's going to be a double wick option next...

Thank you all again...x

Thank you for your input everyone...

Candle Science have been exceptionally helpful and managed to track down my friend's order...

This mystery, soft and squidgy container wax that I'm currently trying to beat into submission is in fact, Astorlite J50...

The mottling wax is, as Karen guessed, a container blend that has similar properties to the IGI1288b...

So now I need to scout around looking for info on the J50...lol

LX22 bit the dust as it smoked very quickly too - and the CS wick guide recommends an Eco12 for this wax in this size container - the Eco8 was doing a jig and smoking after a few hours so I think it's going to be a double wick option next...

Thank you all again...x

Ann-Marie, good job tracking down the wax. I have recently tested J50 and it has quite a higher melt point than 4630. Whereas 4630 melts quite readily, J50 does not. In fact, my J50 samples are rather firm but still cuttable with a knife. I have had to wick up on J50 compared to 4630, and cut back a little on the FO because of smoking. I am presently only testing FO that did not work with my 4630, so my test is a little skewed. Do some searches and you will find lots of into on J50 wicking. This is a premium wax-enjoy your windfall! :yay: