12 Bar TOG Slab Mold Question

Grumpy Girl

Those of you that have one of these critters, how much oil do you use for nice sized bars, SINGLE bars. I know this thing is made so bars can be cut in half but I don't want to do that... maybe an inch and a half tall is what I'm looking for, maybe a bit more.

He says to use 38 ounces of oils to produce a 1" thick bar so I would make 3 -1/2 pounds (56 ounces)

I have his 20/40 and I wanted thick bars and didn't want to cut them in half either. I made one and a half times the amount for 20 bars and had nice thick bars.

IMG_3495.jpg

Thanks, you're using the 20 bar mold right? Yes

He told me 80oz for this mold, so I was thinking 40-46 would do it. Guess I'll experiment here in a little bit.

If 80 would be cut in half to make 24 bars I would still do 56 (3-1/2 lbs).

single recipe = 40 ozs

double recipe to cut the bars in half = 80 ozs

I would do 60 ozs (actually 56 for 3 -1/2 lbs) if they are too thick you could always cut some off the bottom and use to decorate another batch, if you have a miter box or can cut straight. LOL I have to use a miter box. I couldn't cut straight to save my life. :smiley2:

Grumpy girl, if you want 1-1/8" thick bars, use 45 ounces of oils. If you want 1-1/4" bars, use 50 ounces. For you, you mentioned 1-1/2" bars, so use 60 ounces of oils. Deb was right on!:highfive: Hope this helps. The more you use this mold, the HDPE gets seasoned, which makes it easier for the soaps to slip out. I turn my mold over, shake a few times or drop it a few inches above the table, and the dividers and soap falls right out. I just take a paper towel to the sides, and wash the bottom liner in warm water, if necessary. For the first time, you mar wipe the HDPE down with mineral oil, or spray with a coking spray. :wink2:

Paul