EcoSoya Pillar Wax problems

Well, I am having some bad luck lately. This is why I sometimes dread trying new things. :undecided I use CB-3 pillar wax for uncolored melts and I never have to do repours in Sola cups, clamshells or any of the tart types molds. I had to find an additional soy pillar wax for another application that I want to use color because the CB-3 Pillar will frost too much for the look I am going after. I researched and found that many have had great success with coloring the EcoSoya Pillar wax. I detect a bit a frost but not bad. However, now I have the dips and cracks opening up. I did not get the cracks opening up in the clamshells but did get the dips. I am getting the dips and center crack in the Solo cups and some other molds.

For those of you who use this wax, have you had to do repours? If not, what temp have you found to be the best to pour at. I don't like to pour my mold wax too cool because then you can get jump lines. What a pain....I trade one problem for the next! :undecided I may have to resort to the IGI paraffin pillar wax. This may have the same problem as well. I refuse to do repours for melts, etc. I have to do enough repours with my candles. Thanks for any input that may correct this problem. I will look to see if I can find any info.

P.S. I just looked at the melts I just poured -- brown -- and it looks like it may frost too much too. Not as bad, but I don't want any real noticeable frost with this application.

Looks like I will have to try the IGI Pillar wax. Still curious though if others have experienced the dips and cracks with the EcoSoya Pillar wax and what temp is best.

I use the Ecosoya PB wax. I have never had a frosting problem with my tarts or votives. But I do pour cool. As for cracks and dips. I hardly ever get a crack. Maybe once in awhile. So It's no biggie for me. As for dips for votives yes I do have to repour ( unless you make chunky votives. Then I don't need to) As for my tarts sometimes I get a small dip in them but nothing that I worrie about. The same for my wickless once in awhile I get a small dip but no biggie. I ussually pour at 100-110 and so far so good no problems. I have been using this wax for 2 years now and I really love it. Regina

I use the Ecosoya PB wax. I have never had a frosting problem with my tarts or votives. But I do pour cool. As for cracks and dips. I hardly ever get a crack. Maybe once in awhile. So It's no biggie for me. As for dips for votives yes I do have to repour ( unless you make chunky votives. Then I don't need to) As for my tarts sometimes I get a small dip in them but nothing that I worrie about. The same for my wickless once in awhile I get a small dip but no biggie. I ussually pour at 100-110 and so far so good no problems. I have been using this wax for 2 years now and I really love it. Regina

Thanks Regina for your response. I will try to pour cool and see what happens. I may have gotten a little frost because if any color will frost, it will be dark brown, and that is what I used. The frost was not real bad, but I would prefer none with this particular application. It is a really glossy pretty wax. I will try the temps you suggested and see what happens. Do you use a mold release with plastic molds?

Thanks again.

~Holly

Are you pouring according to the EcoSoya PB manufacturer's suggestions? Are you cooling slowly? Remember that small items such as votives, tarts, etc. loose heat far more quickly than a molded candle of a greater volume, so you have to protect these from cooling too fast.

Realize that there are additives and melting/pouring procedures which can help to reduce frosting considerably. Understanding what frosting IS and WHY it happens and what can cause/increase it is important! This article from the Nature's Gifts site explains some of the "why's" pretty well. Searching the forums here for tempering can also explain how the way you melt/pour your wax and the temps used can have a significant effect on the development of "frosting" in your candles/melts.

Before jumping to yet another wax, try to learn how to reduce or eliminate the problems you are experiencing. ALL blends have their own peculiarities. Many soy-based waxes share the same problems to a greater or lesser extent. EcoSoya PB is a pretty good wax, IMHO, but it DOES have its own peculiarities that one has to learn for themselves by working with it.

When having frosting problems, understand that there are MANY factors which promote this undesirable crystal pattern growth. One is the FO itself. Some FOs will cause frosting like there is no tomorrow! The same holds true with dyes. Certain colors and types of dyes are notorious for contributing to frosting issues. There is no "one-size-fits-all" perfect soy wax, FO, dye system. For different FOs or colors, you may have to alter the way you do things or ingredients you use to reduce frosting problems. HTH :)

Are you pouring according to the EcoSoya PB manufacturer's suggestions? Are you cooling slowly? Remember that small items such as votives, tarts, etc. loose heat far more quickly than a molded candle of a greater volume, so you have to protect these from cooling too fast.

Realize that there are additives and melting/pouring procedures which can help to reduce frosting considerably. Understanding what frosting IS and WHY it happens and what can cause/increase it is important! This article from the Nature's Gifts site explains some of the "why's" pretty well. Searching the forums here for tempering can also explain how the way you melt/pour your wax and the temps used can have a significant effect on the development of "frosting" in your candles/melts.

Before jumping to yet another wax, try to learn how to reduce or eliminate the problems you are experiencing. ALL blends have their own peculiarities. Many soy-based waxes share the same problems to a greater or lesser extent. EcoSoya PB is a pretty good wax, IMHO, but it DOES have its own peculiarities that one has to learn for themselves by working with it.

When having frosting problems, understand that there are MANY factors which promote this undesirable crystal pattern growth. One is the FO itself. Some FOs will cause frosting like there is no tomorrow! The same holds true with dyes. Certain colors and types of dyes are notorious for contributing to frosting issues. There is no "one-size-fits-all" perfect soy wax, FO, dye system. For different FOs or colors, you may have to alter the way you do things or ingredients you use to reduce frosting problems. HTH :)

Hi Stella,

Thanks for your response and help. :) I am cooling as slow as I can right now. We are having a long winter. I have a heater in here but I can't keep it up too high too long or I roast. lol Anyway, I am very familiar with frost, what can cause it, etc. I was prepared to experience at least some frost with the EcoSoya but wanted to try it for myself to see how much. It definitely is better than the PB-3 pillar wax for less frost but it will still be too bad for what I will be using it for and wanting. My main candle line is a BIG froster. I go colorless with that. There was nothing I could do to get rid of it in the soy I use. It is a given.....lesson it some yes, but not get rid of it. My environment is not good for frost. Winter would be the worst. I love colorless so it has worked out great for me.

I love the BP-3 for my colorless melts, but I have a new application that I need to color and I do not want to deal with frost or the troubles of trying to illiminate it. I know for sure with this application I am working on no frost (or a very minute amount) is going to be very important to me. If I end up having to do repours with whatever mold wax I find that gives a great throw and does not frost than I will have to accept that because no frost is most important for this. I don't have to repour with the PB-3 wax in tarts (small melts, etc.) but it will frost and worse if you use dark colors and live in a cold environment. :undecided

I did not pour at 155. I poured at 160 because when it dropped down to 155 I noticed it seemed like it would get jump lines. If I tried 155 it may help with the dips and/or cracks some, but I have a feeling I will still need to repour if I want it very flat. I can handle this if I had to but the frost is not going to cut it, and I cannot baby it in my type of environment. With the new products that I am creating, it will be very dark colors (brown, etc.) which is usually one of the worst colors if you are going to get frosting. Also, a lot of the oils are going to be very "heavy" (the type that would promote frost) which will not help either. So, I will most likely have to go paraffin, but that is ok. It is the look I am going for and of course a good throw.

I had some PB-10 (Calwax Pillar wax - 20% soy) on hand. I just poured some melts today. So far no frost and no noticeable dips or cracking. I don't think the cold throw is going to be as good. I tried this wax a while ago briefly when I was testing wax for clamshells/tarts, but decided to go with the PB-3. I don't have enough experience with the PB-10 do know how good or not so good the throw is. I shall see.

Thanks again Stella. You are always so helpful and explain things well. :)

Well, the PB Calwax 10 makes beautiful brown colored melts, but the cold throw is weak. Darn! :undecided It may get better once they are packaged up. I will have to see how the hot throw is tomorrow. I have always loved the cold throw with soy based wax. Well, I may have to try the IGI pillar wax 4794. I know this is not the paraffin section, but does anyone know how the cold throw is with the IGI 4794? I should take a look over at the paraffi section. Thanks!