ebay or not

alhughes

hello fellow candle makers, it has been a longggggg time since i posted but had to take a break was only doing gift candles now trying to get back into the selling aspect of the candles. wondering if anyone is using ebay to sell their candles and if so how successful are they at it & can they give any pointers. i'm not good at the public selling (hate it infact, get 2 nervous) but want to do the online thing if i can get the right info. thanks in advance for any advice you all can give.

audrey

I would forget about fee bay. You can't compete with people who sell candles for .99 and besides there fees are really bad.I would go with etsy.I have been on etsy almost 3 months and have made many friends and sales also. I have even gotton a wholesale account there. And there fees are really good. To list it only costs .20 for 4 months. Plus you get a free shop also. Regina

eBay's fees have just gone up in.. February I believe. So the small items now, like candles would be, profits are eaten up if you could manage to sell. There are some really junky candles on there, that are being sold 20 for a buck. It's insane.

I haven't sold on Etsy, but a lot of the people here rave about it.

I would forget about fee bay. You can't compete with people who sell candles for .99 and besides there fees are really bad.I would go with etsy.I have been on etsy almost 3 months and have made many friends and sales also. I have even gotton a wholesale account there. And there fees are really good. To list it only costs .20 for 4 months. Plus you get a free shop also. Regina

Your shop on etsy looks very nice~

eBay is a wasteland and the new CEO, Donahoe, doesn't want small sellers cluttering up his site. He wants the new eBay to be a 'strip mall'. Even if eBay buyers were willing to pay the price for quality products the recent rule changes have made eBay a hostile environment for small sellers. Some of the more recent changes include:

- Sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers..only positive. Buyers may continue to leave negative feedback for sellers.

- Best Match search is a dismal failure and no one can actually find what they are looking for. Best Match ties your visibility on the site to your feedback and DSR performance. DSR are anonymous 'stars' that buyers rate you with.

- eBay.au is restricting all sales to PayPal only for all sellers. No checks, no money orders..you can't even use your own merchant account. They have admitted in the press that if they can pull it off overseas the US is next.

- fee increases and promises from eBay management that fee increases will no longer be annual but can & will come whenever they want.

Thousands of small & large sellers will be leaving in May. There are many, many alternative venues available. Check out Etsy, iOffer, eCrater, ePier, onlineauction, etc.