need a wick suggestion here...

Hi,

In side by side burns in square mason jars when I was testing 464 (just to compare to C3) a CD 10 burned a little hotter than a CDN 10. I normally use CDN's but just thought I would see for myself if there was a difference. 050.gif

CD wicks came from TCS

CDN wicks from Scented Bean

Stella, is that your way of saying it dosent exist??

Not at all. Indeed there may be a wick that would fit somewhere between those two. We all chase "the perfect burn" but sometimes it is quite elusive. With soy-based waxes, how a candle burns at certain times of year may be different at others because veggie wax is such a dynamic medium. Many factors come to bear and sometimes, the best we can do is a compromise between two "close but no cigar" choices.

Besides looking for a wick between two standard sizes, you could also consider trying to move the meltpoint of your wax a little one way or the other by the use of additives. USA, coconut oil, beeswax, stearic acid, palm wax, etc. all have an effect on the melting point and burn characteristics of a candle. One or more of them might change the burn characteristics of your wax enough to "fit" one of the standard sized wicks. :)

I understand....thanks Stella. You are one of the best on here and your advise is priceless:D .

I have never added anything to my soy before BUT then again I never had too. I do live in a very different climate here in the NW. It is cool most of the year with lots of rain and high humididy. It is strange though because it is not "sticky humidity" like down south.

I am going to mix the 6006 with my wax and see how that goes. I think that will lower the melt point enough to make the CDN 10 burn good in that jar.

Oh and since I am on the third burn the CDN 12's are doing much better. One reason to burn ALL the way DOWN when you test.

Thanks again.

tootie

I do live in a very different climate here in the NW. It is cool most of the year with lots of rain and high humididy. It is strange though because it is not "sticky humidity" like down south.

One of these days when I am able to travel again, I look forward to sampling the great NW climate! I'm not much on cold - especially damp cold like we have here during the winter - but at least one can put on more clothes for comfort - here ya can't take off enough clothing to be comfortable and still be street legal! We've just had our first "blast" of hot, humid weather - TG a cold front has moved back in and cooled it down one mo' time before it heats up. I look forward to summer less and less each year...:undecided

It helps to have a lot of tricks in one's bag so that if one approach doesn't work, you can still achieve the results you desire by employing a different method or technique. And heck - it wouldn't be any fun if success were easy to attain! When everything comes together and I (finally) get what I want from a candle and am able to repeat that success, it is SOOOOO SWEET!!:DThen something changes and I am back to tearing my hair again...:tongue2:

The central part of OR is high desert and it is a WONDEFUL climate!! When we lived in La pine (elevation 4000 ft) our summer days were in the 70's and 80's and nights were in the 40's and 50's. No AC needed!!

I like the dryer desert climate since I am a redhead and natural curly hair....lets just say humidity and my hair dont mix well!!:undecided

tootie